Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-07-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Just heard on espn1033. Paul silas joined the mavs staff today and he will travel with Dallas Mavs to sacremento for the Road Games.

Guys give me thoughts. What does this mean ?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:11 PM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

As I understand from what I heard he will be a consultant for Mavs.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:14 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Does this mean we are going to get some new faces like PJ Brown here to address Rebounding issues and give some inside presence.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:22 PM   #4
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Wow, I wonder if Nellie is feeling the heat a little after this move. Maybe this is some foreshadowing by Cubes that Nellie is going to be bumped to serving as GM only. Did Cubes do it this early to make sure no one else grabbed Silas, or to motivate Nellie to get his ass in gear?!! What a huge move, leave it to Cubes to grab some headlines here.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 06:25 PM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Definitely a bold move but I am sure Nellie knew about this and might have had a say in the same. Definitely Cubes won't do it without Nellie's consult.

I am not sure how to react. Paul Silas has always been a successful guy and his team led the league in offensive rebounds and has been on top three thru his entire career. Defensively his team was pretty good too.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:34 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Great, the one other coach in the league who doesn't coach defense is now on the Mavs payroll.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 06:37 PM   #7
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I like Silas but don't see him as anything near the answer to the Mavs' problems.

If this is Cubes' shot across the bow at Nellie, methinks there be a little chaos afoot here.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 06:44 PM   #8
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Here are few of his defensive achievements as a player

His accolades include two NBA All-Defensive First Team selections (1975, 1976) and three consecutive All-Defensive Second Team selections (1971, 1972, 1973). Over his career, he averaged 9.4 points and 9.9 rebounds in 1,254 games.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:48 PM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Now if they're talking about putting him on the court, that's different altogether. He'd be an upgrade over LaF and Mantis without loosening his tie.

But his prowess as a defender 30 years ago didn't do all that much to make the Clippers (his first head coaching gig) a better defensive team. And while I think he got about max capacity out of the Hornets, they weren't a defensive juggernaut either. By the same token, all-time all-world defender Bill Russell couldn't make Tom Burleson anything more than Shawn Bradley's forerunner; and Russell's stint with the Kings is one of the low points in the history of that franchise.

Silas has a reputation as a good motivator and instilling a sense of toughness (which could've helped earlier in the season), but is not that highly regarded as a game-time tactician. I hope this is just a classy move by Cubes, at Nellie's urging.

But one never knows.

Old 05-07-2003, 06:50 PM   #10
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

I just think they are lining up all knowledge they can get to crack the Kings.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:54 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

<< Now if they're talking about putting him on the court, that's different altogether. >>

I am just being positive and thus did not put his achievements as a coach here because his record as a coach sucks bigtime. Though his teams were among top 10 almost throughout his career in rebounding and defense.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:55 PM   #12
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Gotcha, Mavsfan.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:00 PM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

His teams were ALWAYS better defensively than the Mavs!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:07 PM   #14
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Q]His teams were ALWAYS better defensively than the Mavs!!!!!!! [/i] >>

Not that this is something special.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:07 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I take this as a positive move. I like Silas. He got shafted in Nawlins.

<< Wow, I wonder if Nellie is feeling the heat a little after this move. Maybe this is some foreshadowing by Cubes that Nellie is going to be bumped to serving as GM only. Did Cubes do it this early to make sure no one else grabbed Silas, or to motivate Nellie to get his ass in gear?!! What a huge move, leave it to Cubes to grab some headlines here. >>

I admit...when I saw this I thought the same thing. Who knows?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 07:13 PM   #16
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

I this he should help Dirk and Raef defensively. He used to play forward and averaged 9 rpg thru his career. Dirk is already there but he might improve even more.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:17 PM   #17
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

I like Paul Silas but he also looks like a Soft Guy to me.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:25 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< Wow, I wonder if Nellie is feeling the heat a little after this move. >>

I sure as hell hope something is putting heat on Nellie's fat ass. Of course if he feels the heat he'll just talk about how great the Sacramento team is and crappy the Mavs are while trying to lay the responsibility for that &quot;reality&quot; off on someone else.

We need a coach with balls and &quot;The G#&amp;&amp;@^! Buck Stops Here&quot; mentality, not some giant wuss!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 07:30 PM   #19
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

GREAT move by Cuban. I like Silas. I really think he got the max out of the Hornets.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 07:30 PM   #20
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Silas MIGHT be able to do something for LaF. But it's going to take some doing. I have thought that another former-Nellie-teammate, Dave Cowens, or a former-Nellie-player like Jack Sikma might do wonders with Raef, in that these two players have more similar skills to LaF than Silas.

Back in the day, Silas was non-pareil as a power forward alongside Dave Cowens on those mid-70s Celtics teams. A tough, physical defender and rebounder, and a great garbage scorer. I cut my basketball-watching teeth on him and Cowens pummeling the Alvin Adams-led Phoenix Suns. They dominated the Suns inside that series when the Suns had their own tough guys in Gar Heard, Curtis Perry and Dennis Awtrey. I seem to remember a square-off that year between Silas and Perry.

Silas then went on to be a main contributor on those late-70s Sonics' teams alongside Lonnie Shelton and Jack Sikma. He made Elvin Hayes cry like a sissy during those two championship series, and I also remember him taking on Gar Heard against the Suns in a playoff game. He was no softie.

If he can find even one of Raef's testicles, whatever Cuban pays him will be worth it.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:34 PM   #21
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

<<
If he can find even one of Raef's testicles, whatever Cuban pays him will be worth it.
>>

Now, don't be so greedy.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:35 PM   #22
ariosto

ariosto is on a distinguished road

Wow, this is a surprise. I can only imagine that this means some serious change is coming to the coaching staff, unless Cuban wants more coaches than players on the Mavs. Hopefully we will get a player like the old Silas as well.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:36 PM   #23
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Whatever it takes to disturb the anthill, has to be good.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:37 PM   #24
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

It might be a move to lure PJ BROWN here. Honestly I do not mind PJB here.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:10 PM   #25
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I heard Dale Hanson, on WFAA, Channel 8, say, at 6:30 PM, that the Dallas Morning News will report tomorrow, that Nelson will NOT be back as coach next year. I wonder if the Paul Silas hire is related?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 08:14 PM   #26
DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31

DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31 is an unknown quantity at this point

paul silas is a great coach.. i mean barkley said hes a great coach and barkley hates everyone.. and if any of you heard b. diddy's (baron davis) quote.. he was pissed he said he didnt want to play for any other coach..
Old 05-07-2003, 08:14 PM   #27
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Wow but why are they doing this before playoffs?
Old 05-07-2003, 08:16 PM   #28
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

<< paul silas is a great coach.. i mean barkley said hes a great coach and barkley hates everyone.. and if any of you heard b. diddy's (baron davis) quote.. he was pissed he said he didnt want to play for any other coach.. >>

As I understand he is a players coach and old school. But I am still not convinced he would take us to championship.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:25 PM   #29
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

FALSE REPORTS ON NELLIE'S FUTURE?
By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
Don Nelson was in a strangely giddy mood at Tuesday’s practice. Giddy about his revelation that ex-Celtics roommate Paul Silas, just fired by the Hornets as their head coach, will be coming aboard in Dallas for the playoffs. Giddy about his “life is short’’ approach in dealing with the Game 1 loss to Sacramento.
And giddy, even amid wild news stories being rumored about Tuesday night that were to include the word &quot;resignation.''
Take this for the gossipy bandwidth it's written on, but it seems many in the media took Nellie’s loosey-goosey response to questions about his coaching future in Dallas as cement-hard signs of his plans to quit. Included in those remarks was Nellie noting the unusual position he feels is in in now, a Hall-of-Fame coach working with a GM contract but not with the coaching extension he desired.
But Mavs owner Mark Cuban has decided to handle all job-related decisions in the organization after the season, and that there is nothing more to it than that.
Is somebody “making a mountain of a molehill.’’
As always, stay tuned.
link

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:02 PM   #30
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Silas plans to attend Game 2

The Mavericks will welcome former New Orleans Hornets coach Paul Silas into their midst Thursday night.

Silas is a longtime friend of Don Nelson's but the Mavs' coach said not to read too much into Silas joining the team for camaraderie.

&quot;He's just a good friend, there's nothing more to it than that,&quot; Nelson said. &quot;But I'll tell you, it won't be long before he gets another job. I thought he was the coach of the year for the job he did in New Orleans this season.&quot;

Old 05-07-2003, 11:04 PM   #31
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Nelson unsure of his future as Mavs coach

05/08/2003

By BRAD TOWNSEND / The Dallas Morning News

After Sacramento's Game 1 thumping of his team, Mavericks coach Don Nelson contemplated new ways to attack the Kings while declaring that he is at peace with whatever happens to him at season's end.

Mr. Nelson, whose coaching contract expires at season's end, has made passing references to his tenuous status, but on Wednesday he candidly discussed the possibility that he might be entering his final days as Dallas' coach.

Mr. Nelson, who turns 63 on May 15, reiterated that he wants to coach the Mavericks next season. But even if owner Mark Cuban decides to hire a new coach, Mr. Nelson would like to fulfill the last three years of his general manager contract and his five-year consulting contract.

&quot;I'm a wealthy guy,&quot; Mr. Nelson said. &quot;I know where I'm going to be after [basketball]. I love Maui. ... I can go through not coaching. Really. I'm a happy guy.

&quot;Mark and I will make that decision together. If he wants to make a change, I understand. It's happened to me before in a few places.&quot;

Mr. Cuban on several occasions has downplayed Mr. Nelson's lack of a coaching contract by pointing out that Mr. Nelson has general manager and consultant deals that will carry him to age 70.

&quot;Yes, I expect Nellie to be here a long, long time,&quot; Mr. Cuban reiterated Wednesday.

The Mavericks are coming off the franchise's first 60-victory regular season. Mr. Nelson, with 1,096 career victories, is the third-winningest coach in NBA history.

But speculation about Mr. Nelson's status increased during Dallas' near-collapse in the first round of the playoffs, when it led Portland 3-0, watched the Blazers win the next three games, then pulled out Sunday's Game 7.

&quot;At least we got a two-week extension with a raise,&quot; remarked an upper-management employee, referring to the fact that staff members get bonuses for each round of the playoffs Dallas advances.

'Uncomfortable'

The day after the Portland series, one Maverick player said the entire team believed that if it lost Game 7, Mr. Cuban would have dismantled the squad and coaching staff.
Until Wednesday, Mr. Nelson and Mr. Cuban had said little about the coach's status since November, when Mr. Nelson admitted he felt &quot;uncomfortable&quot; about entering the final year of his contract and Mr. Cuban responded with &quot;uncomfortable is not so bad.&quot;

Several people inside the organization say that Mr. Nelson's and Mr. Cuban's relationship was strained for the next few weeks, and that it still isn't as close as it was before this season.

&quot;My relationship with Nellie is very good,&quot; Mr. Cuban said via e-mail Wednesday. &quot;I don't have any problems with it at all.&quot;

The ease, however, of Sacramento's 124-113 victory Tuesday at American Airlines Center has signaled alarms that for the third straight season Dallas might get whipped in the second round of the playoffs in five games or fewer.

Mr. Nelson was asked whether it wears on the coaches and players that while the Kings made significant additions in Keon Clark and Jim Jackson, the Mavericks have not appreciably improved the roster since losing to Sacramento, four games to one, in last year's playoffs.

&quot;I think we were all a little concerned that we didn't patch a hole around the trade deadline, but it didn't happen,&quot; Mr. Nelson said.

Front-line concerns

Before the February trade deadline, Dallas discussed a deal with Miami that would have brought center Brian Grant, but Mr. Cuban would have taken a large luxury-tax hit, and Mr. Nelson said Miami ultimately cut off negotiations.
The Mavericks also tried to sign veteran forward Tyrone Hill in late Feburary, but Mr. Hill chose to return to his former team, Philadelphia.

Asked Wednesday whether the front-line shortcomings will be taken into account as he evaluates the coaching staff, Mr. Cuban said:

&quot;We look at everything. ... Our goal is to win a championship and do what it takes to get there. The same approach we have taken since I got here.&quot;

Mr. Nelson said that because of other business interests and out-of-town meetings Mr. Cuban hasn't been around the team as much as he used to be.

&quot;People misconstrue that, that we're not as close as we used to be,&quot; Mr. Nelson said. &quot;We're fine. We have no problem. I just don't see him every day, like I did when he first bought the team.&quot;

As for the &quot;uncomfortable&quot; feeling he had about being a lame duck coach this season, Mr. Nelson said he worked through that after some soul-searching.

&quot;It bothered me at first,&quot; Mr. Nelson said. &quot;But once I got to thinking about it, the bottom line is Mark Cuban's been great to me. He gave me the contract when I didn't think he would, a beautiful contract. ... And I'm going to honor the contract. I love the contract.

&quot;Then I decided I may as well coach longer; he decided he wanted to wait. What's wrong with that? I don't blame him for that. I don't blame him if he wants to make a change. [If he does,] then I hope I'm in the process of selecting the new guy.&quot;

'Makes no sense'

In NBA history, only 23 head coaches have achieved 60-victory seasons, and have done so a combined 51 times. On only four occasions has a head coach departed after a 60-win season: Philadelphia's Alex Hannum (1967-68), the Lakers' Pat Riley (1989-90), Seattle's George Karl (1997-98) and Chicago's Phil Jackson (1997-98).
&quot;I have no idea what his agreement with Mark is, but it makes no sense, record-wise, why he wouldn't continue to coach,&quot; Sacramento coach Rick Adelman said of Mr. Nelson.

Certainly, fan and media perspective and expectation has changed from the 1990s, when Dallas posted a 240-550 record. Mr. Nelson recalled when then-minority owner Frank Zaccanelli flew to Maui in February 1997 to interview him.

He remembers Mr. Zaccanelli talking about the need to restore the &quot;magic.&quot;

&quot;Now that we've accomplished that, the expectation level has gone up with me and everyone else,&quot; Mr. Nelson said.

Mr. Nelson talk about a coaching change so candidly that one wondered if he is resigned to it.

&quot;Look, I've been coaching for 25 years,&quot; Mr. Nelson said. &quot;This is a hard job at best. I happen to love coaching, and I love coaching this team. But I could be [just] GM.

&quot;That's a better job for me, actually. I'd get to play a little more golf and have more fun and not be on that hot seat all the time. That's OK, too. Either way. I'm a happy guy. Basketball's been very, very good to me.&quot;

Old 05-08-2003, 06:57 AM   #32
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

i really dont know why Mark isnt aproaching Bird,maybe he knows he'll have tp fork out some percantages,but i still think it would be worth it.

im not really familier with Silas' work,so i cant really say what i think.
if he's another Nelson who wants everybody shooting J' than we really dont need him,that method clearly isnt working for us.
like i said,Pretty sure Rick Carlisle would'nt mind too much moving to dallas and braking his contract with the Pistons,since he knows the Mavs are one of the biggest clubs in the NBA,and he playes his cards right,he might have a ring in a couple of years.
Carlisle is one hell of a coach,and i for one would be thrilled if he'd come to Dallas.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:58 AM   #33
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I think Silas coming here is good for two reasons.

1) He brings in an outside perception on what needs to happen so the Mavs can get past the Kings. He hasn't fallen into that underdog mentallity. He comes in with a fresh attitude, and a fresh mentallity.

2) I think Cuban is testing all his options as a new coach goes. Del Harris has said that he doesn't wanna be a head coach again. I think Little Nellie likes being president of basketball operations, and if you have to remove Big Nellie who do you bring in? So I think Paul Silas is coming in to see how the players react and respond to him.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:25 AM   #34
ariosto

ariosto is on a distinguished road

On Bird, I know what he really wanted was to build a franchise from scratch, which is why he went after the Charlotte team. I've heard since he lost that he would consider taking over as a GM, but he doesn't want to coach again. That's what I've heard, anyway.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:11 AM   #35
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Link from DFW.COM

DALLAS - Paul Silas will attend tonight's Western Conference semifinals game between the Mavericks and Sacramento Kings as a guest of his close friend, Mavs coach Don Nelson.

But Nelson said this isn't the first step toward the former New Orleans Hornets coach succeeding Nelson as coach of the Mavericks.

&quot;That's not why he's coming in,&quot; Nelson said. &quot;But, if it was determined that I wasn't coming back ... he'd be the No. 1 guy on the sheet, as far as I'm concerned.

&quot;He's got the whole package, but that's not why he's coming in.&quot;

Silas, who turns 60 on July 12, will accompany the Mavericks on the team's charter to Sacramento this weekend for Games 3 and 4. This also is his chance to meet Mavs owner Mark Cuban, who might be searching for a coach during the off-season if Nelson doesn't return as the coach.

&quot;He's coming in to be my friend and my pal, and we're going to go to Sacramento together, and then he's going to go on to LA,&quot; Nelson said about Silas. &quot;He's just coming to be with me and hang out, and I'll pick his brain, and maybe he can add something to what he sees.

&quot;He'll be kind of a part of our coaching staff for a couple of days, that's all, as an old favor.&quot;

Nelson and Silas were roommates on the road when they were Boston Celtics teammates from 1972-76. While they played together, the Celtics won NBA titles in 1974 and '76.

Cuban is looking forward to meeting Silas, who led the Hornets to the playoffs for four consecutive seasons but was fired after they lost in the first round this year. This also is Cuban's chance to pick Silas' brain, just in case he decides not to ask Nelson to return as coach.

&quot;As far as Paul coming on the trip, Nellie loves to get feedback and ideas from other successful coaches,&quot; Cuban said. &quot;That's one of his great qualities as both a coach and GM.&quot;

The &quot;coaching&quot; part of Nelson's contract expires after the playoffs, but he's still under contract to remain as the Mavericks' general manager for three more seasons and as a consultant for five seasons after that. Cuban steadfastly said he plans to wait until after the season to decide whether he'll extend the &quot;coaching&quot; end of Nelson's contract.

If Cuban decides to bring in another coach, Nelson, as the general manager, would be involved in the hiring process.

&quot;I've never said I wasn't coming back,&quot; Nelson said. &quot;I haven't made any of those decisions.

&quot;Somebody else may have made them that I don't know about, but I haven't made any of those decisions. I thought I was going to coach the playoffs and go back, relax, and then Mark and I get together and make the decision. I don't know that anything's been decided.&quot;

Cuban said that how Mavericks fare against the Kings will have no bearing on his decision.

&quot;No decision hinges on what happens in any game or series,&quot; Cuban said. &quot;Nothing has changed since the last 970 times everyone has asked the same question.&quot;

But if Silas were to become the Mavs' coach, they would be in very capable hands, Nelson said.

&quot;He's the No. 1 guy on everybody's list,&quot; Nelson said. &quot;He did one of the best coaching jobs in the league.&quot;

Old 05-08-2003, 09:47 AM   #36
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< Great, the one other coach in the league who doesn't coach defense is now on the Mavs payroll. >>

Just out of curiosity, what do you base this on?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:12 AM   #37
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< On Bird, I know what he really wanted was to build a franchise from scratch, which is why he went after the Charlotte team. I've heard since he lost that he would consider taking over as a GM, but he doesn't want to coach again. That's what I've heard, anyway. >>

As far as I'm concerned he can have Nellie's full job as Coach/GM. I think that if Cubes really wants him, he can get him.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:35 AM   #38
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

I'm wondering if coaching and GM duties might not both be better served if they were performed by separate people.

Having Nellie hold both positions was the right move at the right time, but the Mavs need for talent is now at a different level. In Dirk they have a cornerstone player around whom to build, and on whom to base a team identity. What they need now is a coach who will instill a tougher mindset with a more balanced style of play.

From a GM, they need someone with enough time and vision to find and pursue the right complementary players who will fit a new style of play, and someone with enough sense of the market value of players to avoid any more acquisitions and contracts like LaF (and TAW..and NVE...and AJ--I STILL do not see that trade as any bargain for the Mavericks; similarly I don't think the proposed NVE-Brian Grant trade would've made any difference whatsoever.)

Because I'm not sure of the extent to which Nellie will buy into a change in oncourt philosophy, I have to wonder whether it's better for him to remain as GM, or simply move on altogether.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:38 AM   #39
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

What makes bird such a good coach to bring in. Geez what's the fasciantion with him. That indiana team had a good front court this team doesn't have one right know.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:51 AM   #40
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

<< What makes bird such a good coach to bring in. Geez what's the fasciantion with him. That indiana team had a good front court this team doesn't have one right know. >>

i know its hard to think of bringing a coach who actualy thinks about defense,but bird just has it all,he's not only a coach but kind of a sport psycholegist who knows how to bring his players to they're pick when they need to be,and get them that &quot;were not losing this game&quot; mentality.
not only that,i cant think of anyone else i'd rather mentor Dirk.
under birds supervision,Dirk could be one of the best 10 players to ever play the game,and no,im not over exaturating.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote