Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-11-2001, 04:03 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article in that Kidd thinks Marion won't re-upp with the Suns. McDyess may also be enticed elsewhere.

Kidd thinks Nets can win 40 games in his first season

Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) _ In his first official activity with the New Jersey Nets, Jason Kidd was entertaining.

The All-Star point guard promised to make the lowly Nets better, set a goal of 40 wins next season and even began a free agent recruiting pitch, saying he wouldn't mind playing with Denver's Antonio McDyess and former Phoenix teammate Shawn Marion.

"This is a great opportunity for me with some guys," Kidd said Wednesday after being introduced by the Nets at a news conference for the first time since being acquired from the Suns for Stephon Marbury last month.

The deal won't become official until July 18.

"You don't need superstars to win in this league," Kidd said. "You need guys who believe and work hard, and I think that we have that here."

New Jersey has missed the playoffs the past three seasons, and made the postseason only once in the past seven. The team is coming off a 26-56 record in coach Byron Scott's first season, a year marked by injuries.

While Marbury was a dynamic point guard who could score, Scott said Kidd can score and keep his teammates involved.

"Everywhere he has been, he has won," Scott said. "Everywhere he has been, he has made other guys better. I don't see why that is going to discontinue all of a sudden."

After initially declining to make a prediction about next season, Kidd said winning 14 more games was possible provided the team played hard every night and developed a trust for one another.

"That's why teams that have won have been successful, so 40 wins isn't out of the realm," Kidd said. "I think realistically after winning 26, I don't see why not? If we fall short of that, you have to start somewhere and I think that is a realistic goal."

Scott said the Nets might win even more if the team stays healthy.

"I like the fact he put a number up there for guys to shoot at, so when we get to that point with eight or nine games left, you try to get more," Scott said. "I like his attitude and the way he has come in here."

Kidd, who averaged 16.9 points, 9.8 assists and 6.4 rebounds last season with the Suns, is going to need help to turn around a team that has a lot of question marks.

Forward Keith Van Horn's game slipped markedly last season, although some of that might be traced to a broken leg at the start of the season.

Forward Kenyon Martin, who finished second in the rookie of the year voting, also is a concern. He broke his right leg for the second time in two years late in the season.

The same holds for shooting guard Kerry Kittles, who missed all last season because of knee surgery. He will start a comeback next week playing with Nets rookies and free agents in the summer league.

If they all rebound, Kidd thinks the Nets have the talent to be an exciting uptempo team.

Kidd's only question is the team's will to win.

"You have to want to win," he said. "You have to know how to win. Being in this league I have learned how to do both. Since being a little kid, I have wanted to win and it doesn't matter how the cards are stacked.

"When you step on the court you have to feel confident you can win. If you don't feel confident that you can win, you might as well not come to play. That's the attitude we have to have here."

Kidd said he already has been called by players who would like to play with him when they become free agents. He noted he was a good recruiter in Phoenix.

"Hopefully, I can attract some guys to come here," Kidd said.

When asked who he would like to play with, Kidd wasn't shy.

"I look forward to when Shawn Marion is up because he isn't going to be on Phoenix," Kidd said. "Then there's Antonio McDyess, who's a free agent."

Source: Kidd thinks Nets can win 40 games in his first season
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2001, 07:46 PM   #2
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

looks like the Suns will fall apart around Marbury, something not new to this guy, isnt it?

Marion would be a great addition to the mavs roster someday ... Imaging him alongside Dirk [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

well, we´ll see ...

j
Old 07-11-2001, 10:19 PM   #3
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I think ya'll are comming down on Marbury too hard before he has chance. People change...maybe the Pheonix staff will have some balls and bench him if he doesn't listen to them. Hello Mr. Obvious...but if he could become well rounded, he's more athletic than Kidd and this deal could really pay off for the Suns.
Old 07-12-2001, 05:21 AM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

... just like the Cliff Robinson deal will pay off when Jud Buechler starts hitting 100 3´s a season at a .400+ 3pt fg percentage [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2001, 09:06 AM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Well I think he's a better scorer than Kidd but I wouldn't necessarily say athletic. That's the one problem with Point guards who think scoring first and pass second. The only one in HISTORY who was great at doing both was Isiah in my mind. Marbury will pass the ball, but as a point guard, you have to know when to get your teammates involved. His problem is if he goes five possessions without scoring, he says HE HAS to score, where as the great guards like Stockton, Magic and Isiah would make sure everyone is involved in the game first before they concentrated on scoring. Well Stockton and Magic more than Isiah, but Isiah was more team oriented than Marbury.

In the type of Phoenix offense, they need a guard who likes to share the ball. That's why Cassell didn't work there because he's more offensive minded similar to Marbury.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:13 AM   #6
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

You don't think Marbury is more athletic than Kidd!?
Old 07-13-2001, 12:07 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

there's only one point guard (I.Thomas) in the history that is good at doing both, scoring and assisting...
thekid, guess again

how do these numbers stack up with you?
25.7 points, 9.5 assists, and 7.5 rebounds
that's oscar robertson's career stats...
he averaged a triple double for a five year period in his career.

what about magic johnson?
he averaged almost 20 points a game and over 11 assists a game for his career.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 12:41 PM   #8
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Actually I was thinking more of a point guard that was predominantly a scorer. I never really saw Robertson play that's why I didn't include him actually. However Magic didn't have the score first mentality, he scored when he needed to. He just had a GREAT ability to score. I think if Magic was more offensive minded he could have averaged more points than he did, just my opinion. (By the way, I'm NOT saying Isiah was better than Magic either, because he wasn't) When Isiah came into the Pistons, he was Marbury, and he became MORE rounded as a point guard than he was in the beginning. I don't see Marbury having the same development. Isiah averaged more than 10 assists and still averaged over 20 points a game in his prime. Marbury is in his prime now and he's averaging 7 assists a game. Once again, Marbury is a good player, but I don't think he's a better point guard than KIDD.

Also Flying Tiger, I think Kidd is just as athletic than Marbury. Kidd might have the quickest hands I've ever seen from a point guard (besides Maurice Cheeks) also, other than Iverson is there another guard that gets the ball up the court faster? I just think Marbury is a better scorer than Kidd. He can get his shot off anytime, where I think Kidd has problems trying to get his off at times.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:07 PM   #9
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

So you're saying that if Marbury and Kidd ran the 100 they would be about even? I don't think so. Plus Marbury's vert is probably about 4" higher.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:08 PM   #10
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Of course those aren't facts, just my opinion that I have no way of backing up.