Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-24-2003, 01:38 AM   #1
mavs_afroman

mavs_afroman is on a distinguished road
Default Steve Logan

Whatever happened to this guy? Two years ago there was talk about him beating Jason Williams for College player of the year but now I don't even know what team he was drafted to or if he was evn drafted.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:50 AM   #2
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Steve Logan

well, i found out that he was drafted in the second round, 30th overall, to the golden state warriors, but he never actually played. i don't know what he is doing now though.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:48 AM   #3
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default Steve Logan

Steve Logan was 5'10'' and there was concern about his height.

Steve Logan Info:

2002: Drafted by Golden State Warriors (NBA,2rd(30))
2002: July: Southern California Summer Pro League in Long Beach (Golden State Warriors team)
2002-2003: in Jan.'03 signed at Mobile Revelers (NBDL), but left the team the same month for personal reason
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:05 AM   #4
signoftimes

Default Steve Logan

Some strange thngs from Logan, not signing because he wanted Golden State to pay his rehab costs from an injury in college??

By Jason Williams
Post staff reporter

Steve Logan's rather bizarre journey since leaving the University of Cincinnati has led him to, well, the University of Cincinnati.
That pretty much tells the story of how much progress one of college basketball's best players a season ago has made since the Golden State Warriors selected him 30th overall in the June NBA draft.

"It's been a frustrating process," Logan said as he fired up jump shots inside an empty Shoemaker Center on Sunday afternoon.

But that's why Logan is back at UC, to try and put an end to a process that has included many dead ends in contract negotiations and the rehabilitation of a sprained foot.

Logan spent the past six weeks rehabbing in his native Cleveland and in Washington, where his agent, Bill Strickland, is based. Logan said he asked Bearcats head coach Bob Huggins and assistant coach Keith LeGree if the former All-America point guard could hang around the UC program for the rest of the month.

Logan, who has gained about 10 pounds since we last saw him, will practice some with the team, will use the Shoemaker Center weight room and will do individual workouts with LeGree, the assistant coach and former UC point guard said. Logan hopes to be ready to work out and subsequently sign with the Warriors, who maintain his rights, around the first week of January.

"Coach Huggs thought it would be a great idea to come down here," Logan said. "Just get basketball-minded. I'm just really getting back on the court."

Logan's last go-around on the court wasn't memorable. In July, he went to play in the Southern California Summer Pro League. The Warriors reportedly were ticked that Logan showed up out of shape. That reportedly was the reason contract negotiations started off badly, and Golden State denied Logan's request for a two-year guaranteed contract. Logan was the first pick in the second round, and it is mandated that clubs only have to give first-round picks guaranteed contracts.

Golden State had signed guard Gilbert Arenas, the No. 31 overall pick in the 2001 draft, to a guaranteed two-year contract reportedly worth $845,252. With the Warriors not budging, Logan said he asked for a one-year guaranteed deal with a second-year option.

It has been reported in Bay Area newspapers several times in the past two months that Logan was "close" to signing. But nothing has come to fruition.

Strickland and his assistant, Shedrick Howard, who has worked closely with Logan, could not be reached for comment.

"My agent and (Warriors general manager Garry St. Jean) have a history," Logan said. "It's kind of like a chess match between them."

But Logan indicated Sunday that he's willing to make concessions to be on the roster in January.

"I've got a lot of people I'm carrying," said Logan, adding that while in Cleveland he spent a lot of time with his 10-month-old son, Steve Jr. "I'm looking forward to going out there and getting my career started."

Whether the Warriors will make concessions, however, is uncertain. They certainly could have used Logan's services as they struggled to find a capable backup point guard earlier in the season. But, 2½ weeks ago, Golden State signed another Cleveland native in Earl Boykins, and the 5-foot-5 veteran has been solid, averaging 9.9 points and 4.4 assists in eight games for the Warriors (8-15).

Another subplot to the Logan-Warriors soap opera was scripted late last month. According to the Plain Dealer of Cleveland, Logan would have signed but Golden State refused to pay for his rehabilitation expenses.

The injury to his right foot, Logan said, actually occurred about a year ago. During a practice at Shoemaker Center, then-center Donald Little inadvertently stepped on Logan's foot. He said the sprain caused him to have problems with his arch all season, and although he had to spend a lot of time in the training room before and after practices, Logan did not miss a practice or a game last season because of the injury.

Logan said the injury hindered him at times while shooting jump shots. If so, he did a good job of masking the pain, because Logan averaged 22 points and moved into No. 2 all-time in scoring at UC behind Oscar Robertson. Logan willed the Bearcats to a school-record 31 victories and to their first No. 1 NCAA Tournament seeding.

Only the Bearcats players, coaches and support staff knew about the injury, Logan said.

"I didn't want to tell anybody (about the injury), because then it would have been attack mode (for defenses)," he said.

Although Logan managed to play through the pain in college, he was less effective against NBA athletes. He said he would have never made it through the grind of an 82-game season. Now, he's grinding to be able to participate in that grind.

"This is my first time being injured," Logan said. "It's come at a bad time. I'm dealing with it. I'm taking it on the chin right now like a man."

Old 06-24-2003, 10:06 AM   #5
signoftimes

Default Steve Logan

This is from June 19 2003

LOGAN SIGHTINGS?: Steve Logan might end up in a Golden State uniform after all.

Logan, the Warriors' second-round draft pick last season, could be ready to play for Golden State's summer league team, St. Jean said.

Logan was the 30th overall pick last summer, but he never played for the Warriors. The former Cincinnati guard spent the season out of basketball after refusing to sign -- and giving strange and murky reasons for his decision.

But since Logan signed a contract to play in the NBDL -- the NBA's top development league -- he's ineligible to return to the draft. He has been working out in the Bay area in an attempt to regain his playing form.

If he's successful, St. Jean might invite him to the summer league.

"When it's right, we'll take a look," St. Jean said. "When he's got himself in condition that he thinks he merits us taking a looks at him, we'll go over and see him."
Old 06-24-2003, 10:15 AM   #6
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Steve Logan

the whole injury thing is kinda weird.