Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

What are you talking about?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #42
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the edit.

That "moto" thing was just "rEdiculous".
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #43
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
"Favorite" or "favourite"?
If you're American, "favorite".
If you're British, "favourite".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same thing:

American - "caliber"
British - "calibre"
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:47 AM   #44
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

"Definitely" - not "Definately"
Old 03-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #45
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, your and you're....

your - This word is the possesive form of you.

you're - A contraction of you are

Examples -
Dirk, you need to tie your shoes before you get on the Court.

Dirk, you're the MAN!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 02:19 AM   #46
orangedays
Platinum Member

In a similar vein:

"Its" - possessive pronoun of "it"

"It's" - contraction of "it is" or "it has"

Examples:

"This Mavericks team needs to get its act together and stop playing so sluggishly."

"It's inevitable that the 2005-2006 Mavericks will win at least 60 games."
Old 03-12-2006, 02:57 AM   #47
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

This one's been bothering me for a while now

Ludacris: "Move bitch, get out the way! Get out the way, bitch, get out the way!"
Ludicrous: Laughable, ridiculous, outrageous, absurd.

Examples

"I find it ludicrous that you think Ludacris is good"
Old 03-12-2006, 03:27 AM   #48
orangedays
Platinum Member

Ain't no pimps can be pimps if they playin' fo the Bulls, b*tch!

Ludacris, a.k.a. Donyell Marshall
Old 03-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #49
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

One that always drives me nuts:

correct: congratulations

incorrect: congradulations
Old 03-15-2006, 03:32 AM   #50
orangedays
Platinum Member

J.J. Redick

Not Reddick or Redik or Reddik
Old 08-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #51
mavsangel

mavsangel is a jewel in the roughmavsangel is a jewel in the roughmavsangel is a jewel in the rough

A lot. It's two words not one.
mavsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #52
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Okay, it's lunchtime... or otherwise known as SPELLING TIME!!!!
First let me define the terms, then we will see examples in a sentence for more explanation:

then
adv.

1. At that time: I was still in school then. Come at noon; I'll be ready then.
2. Next in time, space, or order; immediately afterward: watched the late movie and then went to bed.
3. In addition; moreover; besides: It costs $20, and then there's the sales tax to pay.
4. Used after but to qualify or balance a preceding statement: The star was nervous, but then who isn't on the first night of a new play.
5. In that case; accordingly: If traffic is heavy, then allow extra time.
6. As a consequence; therefore: The case, then, is closed.

than

1. Used after a comparative adjective or adverb to introduce the second element or clause of an unequal comparison: She is a better athlete than I.
2. Used to introduce the second element after certain words indicating difference: He draws quite differently than she does.
3. When. Used especially after hardly and scarcely: I had scarcely walked in the door than the commotion started.

Examples of proper use:
then - I cried when the Mavericks lost and then I got another Beer.
than - Jason Terry shoots the 3 point shot better than Antoine Walker.

there/their/they're -

there
adv.
1. At or in that place: sit over there.
2. To, into, or toward that place: wouldn't go there again.
3. At that stage, moment, or point: Stop there before you make any more mistakes.
4. In that matter: I can't agree with him there.

pron.
1. Used to introduce a clause or sentence: There are numerous items. There must be another exit.
2. Used to indicate an unspecified person in direct address: Hello there.

adj.
1. Used especially for emphasis after the demonstrative pronoun that or those, or after a noun modified by the demonstrative adjective that or those: That person there ought to know the directions to town.
2. Nonstandard. Used for emphasis between a demonstrative adjective meaning “that” or “those” and a noun: No one is sitting at that there table. Them there beans ought to be picked.

n.
That place or point: stopped and went on from there.

interj.
Used to express feelings such as relief, satisfaction, sympathy, or anger: There, now I can have some peace!

their -
adj. The possessive form of they.

1. Used as a modifier before a noun: their accomplishments; their home town.
2. Usage Problem. His, her, or its: “It is fatal for anyone who writes to think of their sex” (Virginia Woolf). See Usage Note at he1. See Usage Note at they.

they're -

Contraction of they are.

Examples of proper use:

there - Terry, pass the ball to Dirk over there.
their - Maverick fans love their team.
they're - If the Mavericks are going to beat the Spurs they're going to have to play defense for all 4 quarters.

This activity reminded me of something I meant to point out in the original post above: If you are unsure of the correct spelling or use of a particular word.... you can always visit Dictionary.com to see if you can get the answer. I bet it would "fix" 99% of the spelling errors on this board. And props to kg for bringing up the next word that was on my list of lessons.
Glad you covered this... it's one of my pet peeves.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #53
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
This one's been bothering me for a while now

Ludacris: "Move bitch, get out the way! Get out the way, bitch, get out the way!"
Ludicrous: Laughable, ridiculous, outrageous, absurd.

Examples

"I find it ludicrous that you think Ludacris is good"

best post ever! lol
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #54
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

P-O-T-A-T-O-E
T-O-M-A-T-O-E
P-I-N-E-A-P-O-L
M-A-C-D-O-N-A-L-D-S

Ooh Gotta luv 'em!!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky

Last edited by mqywaaah; 08-03-2006 at 11:11 PM.
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:32 AM   #55
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
nowitski
This one just makes me want to pull my hair out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Resign, when the word the person wants is re-sign.
This one really bugs me too.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #56
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I can never remember how to spell raccoon

hey, I spelled it right this time!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 08-08-2006 at 10:38 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #57
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Only after the edit.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #58
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Only after the edit.
nah....the edit was to mention that I spelled it correctly....after spell checking it

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #59
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

What is the proper spelling of "Bucknerized,"

as in

"HEY MAVINATOR SHUT UR CHEESE AND GO GET UR BUT BUCKNERIZED QUEER!!!"

Thanks in advance.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #60
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
What is the proper spelling of "Bucknerized,"

as in

"HEY MAVINATOR SHUT UR CHEESE AND GO GET UR BUT BUCKNERIZED QUEER!!!"

Thanks in advance.
Good question. I think it's spelled correctly in the sentence you provided. However, beeeefffffff needs a lesson on "your". I mean, we know his Y works on his keyboard because he correctly spelled "hey", or "HEY" as the case may be here.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #61
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Just an update... for all the spelling challenged folks on the board.

Firefox 2.0 has been released!!!

Why does that interest you if you can't spell? Because, when typing a response firefox will check for spelling errors. If it thinks you have misspelled a word, it will underline the word... all you have to do is right click the underlined word and choose the correct spelling of the word.

Of course, that does nothing for the improper use of a correctly spelled word. But at least it's a start.

Get it now! Don't wait! Forget IE 7.0! Download Firefox 2.0!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #62
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Both my english teacher and myself hate it when fools misuse the word myself.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote