Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-09-2008, 06:24 AM   #41
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Per Avery's comment he's focusing too much on his "offense" and not on "defense" and that's why he's not playing. So this looks like he's not playing because avery likes bass there better, period.

To avery's defense, looking at diops numbers below, his rebounding was pretty bad in that stretch, his offense was up but his rebounding certainly wasn't.

Quote:
Gana Diop wasn’t in the locker room during the 45-minute media availability prior to hosting the Grizzlies. Asked why on his way out to the court minutes before tip, he just pointed to his head and mouthed one word.

“Focus.”

The subject of dwindling minutes and inconsistent play in the eyes of his coach, Diop was pressed back into the starting lineup with Erick Dampier hurt. The starter center for the last two months had to sit with sprained right ankle.

Mavericks coach Avery Johnson took Diop aside Friday morning before the team’s shootaround to deliver a pep talk. Or at least Johnson’s version of a pep talk.

“He’s going to have to be ready to play and when he gets out there he’s going to have to make his presence felt, especially with blocking shots,” Johnson explained. “We can’t afford to have teams come down the middle on us, especially when he’s in the game.

“He has to hard foul, he has to block the shot, really contest the shot, hopefully they’ll miss it, and rebound for us. That’s his primary job. I think sometimes he puts a little too much pressure on himself finishing offensively inside rather than defending the paint.”

Diop started the first 14 games of the season, as Dampier recovered from offseason shoulder surgery. He averaged 7.8 rebounds and 3.9 points before Dampier rejoined the first team. Diop started another couple of games in early January with Dampier out.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 02-09-2008 at 06:25 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #42
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

The last few games with Damp out Diop has played pretty well defensively as far as I could see. Diop just doesn't make an impact playing a minute here and a minute there. Maybe Diop is loafing in practice because his defense has seemed pretty solid watching on tv. Wasn't Avery the one who griped a Diop for not being agressive offenensively? I can really see Diop's laziness around the basket but, when Diop gets meaningful minutes, he changes the way the opposing teams play for fear of getting their shots blocked.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #43
Bathouse Bear

Bathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these parts

Quote:

And those of you who think we would have beaten GS if Damp had started game 1 are living in a fantasy land. All of Nellie's centers shoot 3's very well. Ever seen Damp defend a 3 point shooter? Ever seen him do it well?
That's why Bass is playing and Diop is sitting. I don't see why this is so difficult to understand. April was not that long ago.
I completely disagree.
That line of thinking is what caused us to lose in the 1st round last year.

I can't stand when Avery or anyone else thinks we should go small to counter a run n gun team.
Not playing Dampier and Diop more against the Warriors is one of the biggest mistakes Avery has every made.

I went to the game last month against Warriors and Dampier was huge for us. Al Harrington scored like 20 points in the first half and two in the second half. I can live with their center staying outside and trying to act like Reggie Miller because that means he is not down low grabbing rebounds. We dominated the boards against the Warriors.

On the defensive side of the ball having Dampier in their means its much harder for the Warriors or Suns to drive to the hoop and score at wll. We need Dampier and Diop to anchor our perimeter defense. If we have shotblockers down low that means our backcourt can play more agressive perimeter D.
Bathouse Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #44
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathouse Bear
I completely disagree.
That line of thinking is what caused us to lose in the 1st round last year.

I can't stand when Avery or anyone else thinks we should go small to counter a run n gun team.
Not playing Dampier and Diop more against the Warriors is one of the biggest mistakes Avery has every made.

I went to the game last month against Warriors and Dampier was huge for us. Al Harrington scored like 20 points in the first half and two in the second half. I can live with their center staying outside and trying to act like Reggie Miller because that means he is not down low grabbing rebounds. We dominated the boards against the Warriors.

On the defensive side of the ball having Dampier in their means its much harder for the Warriors or Suns to drive to the hoop and score at wll. We need Dampier and Diop to anchor our perimeter defense. If we have shotblockers down low that means our backcourt can play more agressive perimeter D.
Well put. Nellie has tried to teach Avery in the past that centers can't play against certain teams.(phoenix).
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote