Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of
Default Jason Kidd for Baron Davis and Marcus Camby?

Did anyone read this by Chris Broussard on ESPN? It's part of his "Five Fixes for the Clippers" article, which is an insider thing so I didn't get to read all of it, but this blurb was in today's Daily Dime:

Quote:
As great as Baron Davis can be, he's just not motivated playing for a lousy team in his hometown. Plus, his body has been fragile his whole career, so logic says that should only become a bigger problem with age.

So offer Davis ($11.25 million) and Marcus Camby ($10 million) to Dallas for Jason Kidd ($21.372 million). This trade works under the salary cap, immediately puts Dallas near the top of the Western Conference, and saves the Clippers $61.65 million over the next four years.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...ge=dime-090203 (Box 8)

Obviously it's pure speculation and not any actual rumors, but I was curious as to what you guys think about this trade.

Last edited by particleman; 02-03-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Link added
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...ge=dime-090203

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Baron Davis is one of the few guys I'd let go of Kidd for in a heartbeat (throw in Camby and the deal is done yesterday...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

I would hate it and love it at the same time.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

i'd hit it. *cue banana dance*
Old 02-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

uh, yes?
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

I would trade Kidd for Baron Davis OR Kidd for Marcus Camby.. either in a heartbeat, let alone getting both in return. That would be bammazing. Forget 2010 at that point.. who cares.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
I would trade Kidd for Baron Davis OR Kidd for Marcus Camby.. either in a heartbeat, let alone getting both in return. That would be bammazing. Forget 2010 at that point.. who cares.
side note, robillion were you on top of the ESPN van throwing little espn basketballs at the mavs vs warriors game?

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

You'd take a serious, serious hit in team chemistry and leadership. Baron Davis is a dog that play well only when motivated.

Having said that, you'd probably still have to do it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Kaman instead of Camby, but either would do. Camby would be a great defensive presence, but we really need an offensive-minded big man.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
side note, robillion were you on top of the ESPN van throwing little espn basketballs at the mavs vs warriors game?
No, I was on the side of it in control of the skills challenge wearing a black ESPN tshirt. Giving out shirts/towels and such.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zki41 View Post
Kaman instead of Camby, but either would do. Camby would be a great defensive presence, but we really need an offensive-minded big man.
I dont think the Clips would do Kaman/Davis. That would be like the Mavs winning the lottery. Teams don't do that for us. Only the Lakers and Celtics could get a deal like that.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Robillion
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zki41 View Post
Kaman only averages a point or two more than Camby. I am defiitely OK sacrificing that for the extra 4 rebounds, 1 extra block per game, and 1 less turnover per game.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Camby's defense would be enough to compensate, and Davis would be a huge scoring threat, especially on the perimeter. I think in terms of his attitude, he knows he could win a championship if this happened, and would try his best.

With our starting five as Davis, Wright, Howard, Dirk, and Camby, teams can't afford to leave anybody open like they did with Kidd. Having Terry and Dampier coming off the bench would be really nice. Dampier would dominate over any back up center. With the inclusion of Bass and Singleton, we would fare well in the post up game against a lot of the other teams that have sufficient front courts, like LA and Boston.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I would instantly retract all my previous statements about how horrible the Kidd trade was for us if we could land an equally talented point guard and a brilliant defensive center in return for him. That would easily make us contenders if not favorites.

Davis/Terry/JJB
Carroll/Terry/Wright/Green
Howard/Green
Dirk/Bass/Hollins
Camby/Damp

Do it now Cuban, do it NOW. That starting five would be feared.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #16
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, i don't know Kidd's value can net us a superstar and a class A player? So are we a major player in the 2010 to land Lebron, Dwayne, Bosh and Amare?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwitzki View Post
Wow, i don't know Kidd's value can net us a superstar and a class A player? So are we a major player in the 2010 to land Lebron, Dwayne, Bosh and Amare?
Yes, we're going to get all of them. And we can keep Dirk too. No problem.

Dirk
B. Davis
Camby
Lebron
Wade

Bench
Bosh
Amare
JET
JJ Barea

They're all coming to Dallas, because they heard Cubes was kewl to his players.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 02-03-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I think we should try and do this before someone like Toronto does... I know they already have Calderon, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind trading JO for Davis/Camby either if those trades for Marion have fell through.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #19
young_gunner

young_gunner has a little shameless behaviour in the past

^^^ who would be the point??
young_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Baron's frail and has played like absolute garbage this year. You think Kidd's shooting is bad (41%) Baron's shooting 35.5% this year and 29% from behind arc (compared to Kidd's 39%)

But I think I'd do itttt.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Yes, we're going to get all of them. And we can keep Dirk too. No problem.

Dirk
B. Davis
Camby
Lebron
Wade

Bench
Bosh
Amare
JET
JJ Barea

They're all coming to Dallas, because they heard Cubes was kewl to his players.

Can we include Kobe too?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #22
Danny Boi

Danny Boi will become famous soon enough

This is a very difficult trade to break down. On one side we've seen what B. Davis can be when he is on (see Mavs vs Warriors playoff series), but on the other side he's always injured. Also. while Camby is a good defensive player, he too is often injured.
Danny Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #23
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwitzki View Post

Davis isn't exactly a superstar.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #24
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boi View Post
This is a very difficult trade to break down. On one side we've seen what B. Davis can be when he is on (see Mavs vs Warriors playoff series), but on the other side he's always injured. Also. while Camby is a good defensive player, he too is often injured.
Yeah but Kidd could walk for nothing after this season. I think the FO would have to do it if it was on the table.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #25
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

I like it but I'm not sure if Dirk is cool with B Diddy...I think the rest of the team can get along
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #26
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Trading Pg's in the middle of the season is a bad idea man just look what happened last season when Kidd came...the team had no chemistry going into the playoffs but if the Mavs really think Kidd is gonna walk at the end of the season they do the trade.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #27
Zki41

Dirk would be cool with anybody who wants to help him win a championship. The man is willing to take a pay cut, I think he'll tolerate B Diddy. I bet Josh will
Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #28
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Baron's unmotivated right now, and who can blame him? The Clippers are the disappointment of the season, and he didn't get to play with his buddy Brand. On a contender like Dallas (would be)? Watch out.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #29
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

I don't think there are enough thugs on the Mavs for Baron Davis to perform well here.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #30
Robillion
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggmac View Post
I don't think there are enough thugs on the Mavs for Baron Davis to perform well here.
Unless we trade Howard for Steven Jackson.. UH OH
Old 02-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #31
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Baron Davis on a winning team = one of the best PGs in the NBA
Baron Davis on a losing team = one of the most frustrating players in the NBA

Dallas Mavericks under Dirk = 8+ winning seasons with a playoff berth in each those seasons

This, to me, is a no-brainer.

I would probably buy a Baron jersey the day of.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 02-03-2009 at 07:17 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #32
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Any time you have an opportunity to pick up a center as good as Camby (or Kaman, either one), you have to jump. You just have to. They are such rare resources in the NBA.

And, I agree that Baron Davis only plays when motivated. I think he would be motivated by playing for a team that would immediately be a contender.

I'd do this trade.

But, this trade is ridiculous and is not really available. The only legitimate reason for them to do this trade is to salary dump. That assumes they are going to probably sign and trade JKidd after his salary expires at the end of the season. It makes no sense for them to pay JKidd what he is worth and keep him if they are moving into a rebuild mode.

So, the only way they do this if they have entirely given up and want to dump salary and start over.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #33
stewartj

stewartj has a spectacular aura aboutstewartj has a spectacular aura aboutstewartj has a spectacular aura about

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34612
stewartj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #34
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartj View Post
thanks for the link. looks like the rumor/idea is in several places. I'd definitely do the trade if it actually comes up
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #35
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, Kidd > Davis.

But Davis and Camby...that's nearly impossible to resist.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #36
Zki41

Quote:
Dampier? Stackhouse (lol)?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #37
craggmac
Golden Member

Old 02-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #38
tybrock

tybrock is a jewel in the roughtybrock is a jewel in the roughtybrock is a jewel in the roughtybrock is a jewel in the rough

This may be an expensive move, and a bit of a gamble, but the impact could change this team. Baron is one of the better scoring and defending point guards in the league. He CAN be one of the elite points when motivated. I think we would be surprised how coming to a winning team with at least the chance of getting to the playoffs will motivate a player.

Camby may not be a dominate low-post player, but he does average a double-double. Which is more than what we get from Damp. I don't think I need to argue for the defense he brings. Now I still think a trade or two more to sure up some other positions would be good. This move to me gets us back in contention for at least the next two years.

Did I mention this team gets the toughness it desperately needs!
tybrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #39
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why is Jason Kidd hanging out with Mr Cooper?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #40
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

No Camby

Quote:
• The latest rumblings out of Clipperland suggest that rookie Eric Gordon and center Marcus Camby are the only two players L.A. refuses to trade, which is another way of saying that the Baron Davis trade speculation isn't about to go away, no matter how unlikely it is in this economy for a deal to materialize before the deadline that forces Davis to leave his hometown.
-Marc Stein ESPN

I'm surprised at his age on a team that's going nowhere that he'd be untouchable.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 02-07-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Tags
breaking news!!!!!!, flash report