Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 12:36 AM   #1
bigcat

bigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to allbigcat is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/07/...e-call-quotes/

His full remarks.
VERY interesting stuff.
He can certainly talk the talk, but to answer "for sure" to the question "if he feels like he could be the face of the franchise when Dirk decides to call it a career", wow...

Let me put it this way: I hope he can walk the walk to 80% of his talk.
bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #2
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
He can certainly talk the talk, but to answer "for sure" to the question "if he feels like he could be the face of the franchise when Dirk decides to call it a career", wow...

Let me put it this way: I hope he can walk the walk to 80% of his talk.
There's swagger. He's diplomatic but confident. I think he'll back it up.

From what I've gathered, there's only brief windows between now and when he has to report to Vegas. He might not see Carlisle before that, but they're going to be in constant communication.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I'm good with it

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mavs.com/chandler-parsons-phone-interview/

Listen to that phone interview and tell me it doesn't get you even more pumped about this kid's future.

Sounds so sharp.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
http://www.mavs.com/chandler-parsons-phone-interview/

Listen to that phone interview and tell me it doesn't get you even more pumped about this kid's future.

Sounds so sharp.
thanks for the tip sike - sounds like the kid has a good head on his shoulder.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

I can invision him playing a bit of "point-forward" for a few possessions here and there with since Crowder, Jefferson, and Lewis can all play the 3 spot. That would be a tall lineup/changeup to throw at teams.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Can the season start already? I know Mavs aren't finished yet but damn... this has been one of the more exciting off seasons in a long time. I'm getting on the hype train and anxiously waiting for game 1 of 82.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
Can the season start already? I know Mavs aren't finished yet but damn... this has been one of the more exciting off seasons in a long time. I'm getting on the hype train and anxiously waiting for game 1 of 82.
Totally agree.

*Lets just remember this before we complain about the MBT. There is no doubt Cuban really does want to win. So many pro sports owners are only about $. Cubans is clearly about winning AND $. We should remember to be thankful for that.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Totally agree.

*Lets just remember this before we complain about the MBT. There is no doubt Cuban really does want to win. So many pro sports owners are only about $. Cubans is clearly about winning AND $. We should remember to be thankful for that.
As we see with Jerry Jones, it isn't all about wanting to win. I doubt any owner in the NFL wants to win more than Jerry.. but that still doesn't mean that people that want it really badly can't totally screw up a situation.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Totally agree.

Well any argument that Cuban isn't willing to spend is well out the window. That plus Dirk taking a huge pay cut has me verrrrry tempted to get a 10 game plan.

August and September are going to feel long.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
Who says money can't buy happiness???
It's been a long time since Mavs fans have had the opportunity to watch the FO go FA shopping with this much money in their pockets.

Last edited by rimrocker; 07-16-2014 at 04:39 PM.
rimrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/rocket...-his-own-game/

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
“If you want to win the title, you have to be the team that finds the Chandler Parsons, not the ones that gives that Chandler Parsons the max contract. You look at the Spurs… they’re the ones that find guys… not the ones that go out and chases guys that other people find.

We couldn’t turn a great decision, which is obviously drafting Parsons at 38 a docuple years ago — and of course if we hadn’t made that great decision no one would be talking about anything right now — but we can’t turn that great decision into a bad decisoin by mathcng what contract he got… Our odds of winning the title are now higher by not matching.”

He can't be serious speaking on the Spurs. He chased Harden and Howard, so why is he speaking about not chasing players? His philosophy is the total opposite as the Spurs.

So the odds of winning are higher without Parsons, IF they CHASE a star player. GTFO Morey!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #14
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
“If you want to win the title, you have to be the team that finds the Chandler Parsons, not the ones that gives that Chandler Parsons the max contract. You look at the Spurs… they’re the ones that find guys… not the ones that go out and chases guys that other people find.

We couldn’t turn a great decision, which is obviously drafting Parsons at 38 a docuple years ago — and of course if we hadn’t made that great decision no one would be talking about anything right now — but we can’t turn that great decision into a bad decisoin by mathcng what contract he got… Our odds of winning the title are now higher by not matching.”

He can't be serious speaking on the Spurs. He chased Harden and Howard, so why is he speaking about not chasing players? His philosophy is the total opposite as the Spurs.

So the odds of winning are higher without Parsons, IF they CHASE a star player. GTFO Morey!!!

He's trying to save face but the truth is the only reason he's highly regarded is because of a decent draft record and the Harden trade. Every other move they've made indicates Morey is a below average GM who thinks he's playing 2K. His comments will come back to bite him in the ass. If you're not the "3rd star" Morey is chasing why would you go to a Rockets team that views you as trade fodder? Me thinks Morey is long gone by the time the Rockets make any playoff noise.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
He's trying to save face but the truth is the only reason he's highly regarded is because of a decent draft record and the Harden trade. Every other move they've made indicates Morey is a below average GM who thinks he's playing 2K. His comments will come back to bite him in the ass. If you're not the "3rd star" Morey is chasing why would you go to a Rockets team that views you as trade fodder? Me thinks Morey is long gone by the time the Rockets make any playoff noise.
He is digging his own grave, and at the same time giving CP extra motivation.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #16
gmoney411
Banned

gmoney411 is a jewel in the roughgmoney411 is a jewel in the roughgmoney411 is a jewel in the roughgmoney411 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post

I think you are misunderstanding what it means to find a player. The Spurs didn't find Tim Duncan. Anybody would have taken Duncan. The Magic didn't find Dwight Howard, he was an obvious top 2 pick. The Thunder didn't find James Harden, he was an obvious top 5 pick. The Spurs found Parker and Manu with late round picks. They picked Leonard when team after team, including Morey's Rockets, passed on him. Almost everybody can find the obvious top 5 talent because that's where the stars almost always come from. He's saying that you have to hit it big with later draft picks or pickups.
gmoney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney411 View Post
I think you are misunderstanding what it means to find a player. The Spurs didn't find Tim Duncan. Anybody would have taken Duncan. The Magic didn't find Dwight Howard, he was an obvious top 2 pick. The Thunder didn't find James Harden, he was an obvious top 5 pick. The Spurs found Parker and Manu with late round picks. They picked Leonard when team after team, including Morey's Rockets, passed on him. Almost everybody can find the obvious top 5 talent because that's where the stars almost always come from. He's saying that you have to hit it big with later draft picks or pickups.
I think you are misunderstanding what he said.

His comment was that MOREY chased after Harden and Dwight to build his recent team - he wasn't commenting on how Harden and Dwight first made it into the league.

Mav Addict is saying that the spurs DO find talent in later rounds, and that Morey has not done that (aside from Parsons). I think you need to re-read his post.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #18
gmoney411
Banned

gmoney411 is a jewel in the roughgmoney411 is a jewel in the roughgmoney411 is a jewel in the roughgmoney411 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
I think you are misunderstanding what he said.

His comment was that MOREY chased after Harden and Dwight to build his recent team - he wasn't commenting on how Harden and Dwight first made it into the league.

Mav Addict is saying that the spurs DO find talent in later rounds, and that Morey has not done that (aside from Parsons). I think you need to re-read his post.
I think you, like the original poster, are misunderstanding what Morey is saying. He's not talking about chasing stars. He's talking about chasing guys that aren't stars but instead role players like Chandler. You don't go out and spend big money on guys like Chandler that aren't stars or haven't really shown star potential. He's saying that you should be getting guys like Chandler in the draft or for cheap in free agency. You can't chase complimentary players.

Last edited by gmoney411; 07-17-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #19
45-South

45-South is on a distinguished road

Hi guys. Friendly Rockets/Texas fan here

Please ignore the butt hurt coming from down the road. You guys got yourselves a good young solid player in CP25. He's improved his game every year since he's been in the league (he transformed himself into a point forward after his rookie season just to give you an example of how hard he works). He's a stat filler but he also brings the intangibles that you don't see on the stat sheet. He's the guy that really made the Rockets offense run smooth. I'm expecting him to take steps (plural) forward this year under a great (real) coach and watching how a championship winning super star like Dirk does it. He's going to fit great with the system Carlisle runs.

You guys are going to love this kid. I promise. I watch a lot of Dallas games this past season and I wouldn't be surprised if CP25 is the 2nd best player on your team by the time the season starts.

Greg Smith, spent just about all of his rookie year in the D-League. Limited offensive skill set but he's great coming off the bench to back up the 4-5 positions. He was a big help to us his 2nd year when we made the playoffs. He even got some starts as well. Had some double digit rebound games, one of which he pulled down 19 boards. We really missed him last season. If he's healthy he should be a good add to the bench.
45-South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #20
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-South View Post
Hi guys. Friendly Rockets/Texas fan here

Please ignore the butt hurt coming from down the road. You guys got yourselves a good young solid player in CP25. He's improved his game every year since he's been in the league (he transformed himself into a point forward after his rookie season just to give you an example of how hard he works). He's a stat filler but he also brings the intangibles that you don't see on the stat sheet. He's the guy that really made the Rockets offense run smooth. I'm expecting him to take steps (plural) forward this year under a great (real) coach and watching how a championship winning super star like Dirk does it. He's going to fit great with the system Carlisle runs.

You guys are going to love this kid. I promise. I watch a lot of Dallas games this past season and I wouldn't be surprised if CP25 is the 2nd best player on your team by the time the season starts.

Greg Smith, spent just about all of his rookie year in the D-League. Limited offensive skill set but he's great coming off the bench to back up the 4-5 positions. He was a big help to us his 2nd year when we made the playoffs. He even got some starts as well. Had some double digit rebound games, one of which he pulled down 19 boards. We really missed him last season. If he's healthy he should be a good add to the bench.
Welcome to the board! Love your insight on Greg Smith. I haven't watched or payed alot of attention to his game. I am hoping he is everything you just said. If so I feel like it will be a nice match. Anyways thanks for the kind words and thoughtful insight on CP25 and Smith. Come around anytime!

P.S. Love the name.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 07-16-2014 at 05:03 PM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #21
45-South

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
Welcome to the board! Love your insight on Greg Smith. I haven't watched or payed alot of attention to his game. I am hoping he is everything you just said. If so I feel like it will be a nice match. Anyways thanks for the kind words and thoughtful insight on CP25 and Smith. Come around anytime!

P.S. Love the name.
Thank you hayth.james

Now I'm not making any promises about Greg Smith. Lol. He did have some brain farts on the court but like I said it was his 1st year of consistent playing time and when we needed him he stepped up.

As far as CP25. I'll bet money he'll be great for the Mavs especially in a controlled offense. He's a confident guy with a HUGE chip on his shoulder, and Morey saying something as classless as "you don't give guys like Parsons max contracts" is just like being at the gas station adding fuel to his fire.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #22
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thank you hayth.james

Now I'm not making any promises about Greg Smith. Lol. He did have some brain farts on the court but like I said it was his 1st year of consistent playing time and when we needed him he stepped up.

As far as CP25. I'll bet money he'll be great for the Mavs especially in a controlled offense. He's a confident guy with a HUGE chip on his shoulder, and Morey saying something as classless as "you don't give guys like Parsons max contracts" is just like being at the gas station adding fuel to his fire.
Yeah, I kind of understood where Morey was coming from with some of his responses in that interview. I think that he could of been much more graceful about the whole thing. Just not his style. Alot of people on the Houston boards were ripping Cuban and saying the move was more about sticking it to Morey.. I never perceived it that way. I felt like ANYTHING less would of kept Parsons in Houston. Dallas had to be as aggressive as possible to have any chance at peeling Parsons away. Sure Morey and Cuban have some bad blood, but the entire deal seemed strategical. Overpaying on Parsons made sense for the Mavs.

On the topic of how Parsons will fare now with the big contract and more expectations, I would lean towards the side of very well. Like you mentioned before, our offense is a nice match for a SF who can move without the ball and hit the open jumper. The real question marks in Parsons game is how well he can do when a defense keys on him, can he get tougher on both sides in the paint, and if his defense can evolve. I think all of those questions are valid reasons to question the size of his contract. I think point one is irrelevant for the 3 year contract. For the foreseeable future, the offense will flow more through Harris/Felton, Ellis, and Dirk than Parsons. I think the majority of his looks will be through spacing, fast breaks, and good cuts to the basket on the back side. Questions two and 3 are my biggest concerns, and it will just have to remain to be seen how far he can progress. I think working with Dirk will help him tremendously to be more aggressive offensively in the paint. By the end of his contract here, I would not be surprised at all to see him operating by backing down his opponents more.

Anyways, once again I love the conversation. Anytime I can talk to a fan who loves his team but is open to just genuine conversation that doesn't have to revolve around bashing each other teams I am up for it. Makes the game much more enjoyable imo.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 07-16-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #23
45-South

Quote:
Yeah, I kind of understood where Morey was coming from with some of his responses in that interview. I think that he could of been much more graceful about the whole thing. Just not his style. Alot of people on the Houston boards were ripping Cuban and saying the move was more about sticking it to Morey.. I never perceived it that way. I felt like ANYTHING less would of kept Parsons in Houston. Dallas had to be as aggressive as possible to have any chance at peeling Parsons away. Sure Morey and Cuban have some bad blood, but the entire deal seemed strategical. Overpaying on Parsons made sense for the Mavs.

On the topic of how Parsons will fare now with the big contract and more expectations, I would lean towards the side of very well. Like you mentioned before, our offense is a nice match for a SF who can move without the ball and hit the open jumper. The real question marks in Parsons game is how well he can do when a defense keys on him, can he get tougher on both sides in the paint, and if his defense can evolve. I think all of those questions are valid reasons to question the size of his contract. I think point one is irrelevant for the 3 year contract. For the foreseeable future, the offense will flow more through Harris/Felton, Ellis, and Dirk than Parsons. I think the majority of his looks will be through spacing, fast breaks, and good cuts to the basket on the back side. Questions two and 3 are my biggest concerns, and it will just have to remain to be seen how far he can progress. I think working with Dirk will help him tremendously to be more aggressive offensively in the paint. By the end of his contract here, I would not be surprised at all to see him operating by backing down his opponents more.

Anyways, once again I love the conversation. Anytime I can talk to a fan who loves his team but is open to just genuine conversation that doesn't have to revolve around bashing each other teams I am up for it. Makes the game much more enjoyable imo.
I'm not with the Texas "HATE" triangle. I like all the teams in Texas and you guys have a nice forum from what I've seen with knowledgeable posters.

As far as the contract situation, some fans like myself were saying CP25 would get $13-$14 million a year last year so I don't view it as overpaying. I think he's worth it.

You're right about what you said about him offensively and he can also get hot from 3pt range (he had a game were he hit 10 straight 3's in one half). And as I said he's a point forward. The Rockets starting point guard hardly handled the ball, Harden and Parsons handled those duties. That's why Rick Carlisle said he would also use him at the point. He's a very good passer and has good court vision (several games with over 7 assist one with 11). And NO WAY he's taking a back seat to Felton and Harris. And I don't think he's going to take one to Monta either.

As far as his defense _ here's a short clip I found.
Watch "Chandler Parson Defensive Clips" on YouTube
Chandler Parson Defensive Clips: http://youtu.be/bn041-Iml0w
He's even shut down D-Will before.

Anything you don't like about CP25, push that to the side until Carlisle gets his hands on him.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you hayth.james

Brain farts are to be expected from rookies. Very unusual if they do not. Love hard working guys, they permeate through an organization.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #25
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you hayth.james

I am really grateful to you for sharing your insight on the former Houston players we are getting. No one knows better than a true fan.

I'm not sure where the negativity is coming from on either side. Its been a 9 years since those McGrady-Dirk shootouts, which were damned fun to watch. However, I'm up for a rivalry. With the Lakers and Magic on the downstroke, we have an opening for a competitor that is not on I-35. Maybe that's what Mark and Morey are up to---stirring things up. It should be fun.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching parsons post ups against smaller guys and he looked stellar to me. Even dirk like with an array of turnarounds, step backs and other moves.

Carlisle used to like to go to Marion quite a bit in the post when there was a mismatch, but Marion was as likely to throw it off the top of the backboard as in the hole. (I loved Marion but his offense was so wild-ass that it always made me laugh).

I could see him getting a lot more of that off pnrs. IF we have a point that can recognize the mismatch. Luckily the dirkster calls a lot of the mismatches out these days.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-16-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

Thanks for the defensive clip. It seemed like parsons was the starter that was used to sort of anchor the second unit. Lot of time out there with asik/Lin and no harden/Dwight.

Was that the case, if so was he the go to guy on that unit or not?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #28
45-South

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Thanks for the defensive clip. It seemed like parsons was the starter that was used to sort of anchor the second unit. Lot of time out there with asik/Lin and no harden/Dwight.

Was that the case, if so was he the go to guy on that unit or not?
Hard to give you a definitive answer to that Dude. Harden is the go to guy and he and Parsons both ranked in the top 7 in minutes so they both were on the court a lot, and Lin was supposed to be the spark plug off the bench so his job was to score when he came in. But I can tell you that the offense was stagnant whenever Parsons was off the court regardless of who else was in the game.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #29
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Hard to give you a definitive answer to that Dude. Harden is the go to guy and he and Parsons both ranked in the top 7 in minutes so they both were on the court a lot, and Lin was supposed to be the spark plug off the bench so his job was to score when he came in. But I can tell you that the offense was stagnant whenever Parsons was off the court regardless of who else was in the game.
Does anyone recall a website that gives minutes/stats for different lineups? I used to go to 82games but it seems kinda shut down.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #30
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does anyone recall a website that gives minutes/stats for different lineups? I used to go to 82games but it seems kinda shut down.

Thanks in advance.
nba.com has a good bit of it. Can look within teams, or league-wide from their statistics page.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #31
45-South

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Are you trying to judge how CP25 looks without Harden? Harden missed some games during the season. Jan 29th vs. Mavs in Dallas comes to mind. CP25 was the leading scorer and lead in field goal attempts for the Rockets that game. Dig it up and watch it if you can.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #32
gmoney411
Banned

Quote:
Are you trying to judge how CP25 looks without Harden? Harden missed some games during the season. Jan 29th vs. Mavs in Dallas comes to mind. CP25 was the leading scorer and lead in field goal attempts for the Rockets that game. Dig it up and watch it if you can.
Chandler played well without Harden. He averaged 17.5/5.2/3.7 on 52/27 shooting percentages in the 8 games Harden missed.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #33
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
No...I'm trying to see how much time cp spent on the floor without harden specifically but also Dwight. For example Carlisle always "creates" bench by having dirk sit out early and come in with the second unit. It gives them an anchor when things start to get a little tight.

I thought I saw cp being sort of used that way as well. ( my dang autocorrect keeps changing cp to pc.)
Old 07-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #34
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Monta = Ellis
Monte = Mathis

Just a pet peeve of mine...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-17-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #35
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I do think there's more to the decision to give Parsons's an offer sheet than Dallas' evaluation of him being higher than Houston's. I think they clearly must value him more than Houston. But you also have to note the difference in roster makeup. Dallas has an elite, top 15 NBA player making 8Mil this season. That gives them flexibility to overpay to add to their talent. Also, their roster is setup in such a way that they can easily offer a max contract next season, if they so choose.

So roster makeup has a lot to do with this decision as well.

Great discussion in here, today, btw.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-17-2014 at 05:43 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #36
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I do think there's more to the decision to give Parsons's an offer sheet than Dallas' evaluation of him being higher than Houston's. I think they clearly must value him more than Houston. But you also have to note the difference in roster makeup. Dallas has an elite, top 15 NBA player making 8Mil this season. That gives them flexibility to overpay to add to their talent. Also, their roster is setup in such a way that they can easily offer a max contract next season, if they so choose.

So roster makeup has a lot to do with this decision as well.

Great discussion in here, today, btw.
Can't agree more.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #37
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Giving away a first round pick is not "easily" dumping a contract. That move, without an immediate corresponding use of the money, was a HORRENDOUS move. I assure you, Morey would give his left pinky to have it back. He paid the Lakers for the privilege of giving away a rotation player without a better one to take his place. But he apparently had to agree to it before getting the confirmation from Bosh.

You traded away two rotation players and in return you might have moved up, what, 8 spots in the draft? Maybe? That's a net positive? Come on, man. You can explain away Asik not being a rotation player for *you* but that's only because you had roster duplication. He's a starting caliber center that you couldn't get equal value for because of the contract Morey gave him. There was a valid reason Morey gave him that contract, but don't then turn around and claim Morey doesn't give out risky contracts.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #38
gmoney411
Banned

Quote:
Giving away a first round pick is not "easily" dumping a contract. That move, without an immediate corresponding use of the money, was a HORRENDOUS move. I assure you, Morey would give his left pinky to have it back. He paid the Lakers for the privilege of giving away a rotation player without a better one to take his place. But he apparently had to agree to it before getting the confirmation from Bosh.
We are just playing a game of semantics at this point. He had to dump a contract quickly to lock up Bosh and he was able to do it. The Rockets late first round pick is an asset but not a great one. Of course he would take it back and would have likely moved Lin for something better later in the season or offseason but he didn't have time to wait it out then.

Quote:
You traded away two rotation players and in return you might have moved up, what, 8 spots in the draft? Maybe? That's a net positive? Come on, man. You can explain away Asik not being a rotation player for *you* but that's only because you had roster duplication. He's a starting caliber center that you couldn't get equal value for because of the contract Morey gave him. There was a valid reason Morey gave him that contract, but don't then turn around and claim Morey doesn't give out risky contracts.
You couldn't find a GM in this league that wouldn't sign Asik for $8.33MM two years ago and then flip him for that Pelicans pick two years later. They got value out of that signing. Morey was able to use a similar pick to land Harden two years ago.

If I said those contracts were risk free I take it back. I'm not sure if I did and I'm too lazy to go back and read what I said. But those two contracts are nowhere near the risk of Parsons. That contract is a much bigger risk with a much lower payoff. Even if Chandler turns into a star he can opt out before 2016 and will demand even more money when the cap possibly soars to $80MM. And even if he plays just to the level of that contract he is going to opt out and get more money. The best the Mavericks can hope for is even value on that contract in the short term.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #39
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney411 View Post
We are just playing a game of semantics at this point. He had to dump a contract quickly to lock up Bosh and he was able to do it. The Rockets late first round pick is an asset but not a great one. Of course he would take it back and would have likely moved Lin for something better later in the season or offseason but he didn't have time to wait it out then.

You couldn't find a GM in this league that wouldn't sign Asik for $8.33MM two years ago and then flip him for that Pelicans pick two years later. They got value out of that signing. Morey was able to use a similar pick to land Harden two years ago.

If I said those contracts were risk free I take it back. I'm not sure if I did and I'm too lazy to go back and read what I said. But those two contracts are nowhere near the risk of Parsons. That contract is a much bigger risk with a much lower payoff. Even if Chandler turns into a star he can opt out before 2016 and will demand even more money when the cap possibly soars to $80MM. And even if he plays just to the level of that contract he is going to opt out and get more money. The best the Mavericks can hope for is even value on that contract in the short term.
Again, I fail to understand any risk in Parsons contract. Say he gets better, but not much. What risk is there? We know hes a solid locker room, hard worker, and competitive player. We got him on a big contract because Dirk basically agreed to pay his contract. Your argument of "well you could of had this" is purely speculative and somewhat misleading. Stephenson seems like a value, but MBT never felt that way. He was always a fall back plan. His risks were too great. Ariza for 8 million is ridiculous. Sure if he continues last years success it will be a fair contract, but nothing indicates he will do this. He has done this same thing TWICE now. Parsons is a perfect fit in every single way for the Mavs locker room.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 07-17-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #40
gmoney411
Banned

Quote:
Again, I fail to understand any risk in Parsons contract. Say he gets better, but not much. What risk is there? We know hes a solid locker room, hard worker, and competitive player. We got him on a big contract because Dirk basically agreed to pay his contract. Your argument of "well you could of had this" is purely speculative and somewhat uninformed. Stephenson seems like a value, but MBT never felt that way. He was always a fall back plan. His risks were too great. Ariza for 8 million is ridiculous. Sure if he continues last years success it will be a fair contract, but nothing indicates he will do this. He has done this same thing TWICE now. Parsons is a perfect fit in every single way for the Mavs locker room.
The risk is that you have a guy taking up $15MM in cap space for the next three years that might not perform. And after those three years Dirk is probably done. Even if you have extra cap space when Tyson and Ellis come off the books you don't want to tie up that much in somebody that might not play to that level. It will greatly hurt your chances to win a title.

The whole Ariza has done the same thing twice is completely unsupported by stats. Ariza got hot in the playoffs during the Lakers run but that is it. His shooting numbers didn't improve greatly in his Lakers contract year. Nor did his shooting numbers improve greatly this contract year anymore than they had the year before or the year before. Trevor has gone from 30 to 33 to 36 to 40 as a three point shooter the last four years. That is a very even climb for a guy that is just becoming a better 3 point shooter as he gets older. Jason Kidd did the same thing.

Tags
is this clutchfans.net?, nonclutchfans.net