Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Terry can create his own shot, he just rarely takes it to the rim
Dribbling around and proceeding to take a contested jumper is not really "creating his own shot".
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Rudy is garbage. He can't create his own shot. He goes through insane dry spells. He can't play any defense.

No thanks.
You watch a lot of Trailblazers games? You definitely have a different take on him than I do I've seen Fernandez play about 20 times over the past couple of years. His reputation was as a spot-up shooter coming in, and he's been about what was expected as a shooter. But he has also been surprisingly productive in open-court situations. He and Sergio Rodriguez also had a decent connection on lobs. He's not great at creating off the dribble, but that's not what you'd be bringing him in for. No, he's not a physical player, and no, he's not a defender. But given the current roster, the Mavericks are not going to be a lock-down defensive team on anyone (cf Kidd at the point and Dirk at PF).

Additional considerations are that Fernandez his 25 y.o. and 6.6, and a pure shooter. He's got a contract at $1.25 million with 1 year to go.

Terry's 32 and 6.1, and a streak shooter, with two years to go at $10.5 million and $11.4 million. His career trajectory as a slow, 6.1 combo guard is heading downward, to put it nicely. He's not going to become more explosive, more consistent, or any better defender.

Mavericks followers pretty much know Terry's game, and know not to count on him. Fernandez is a young player with a valuable skill (distance shooting) and room to improve the rest of his game. He wants out of Portland, and he's one of the few 2's available without a payroll busting albatross of a contract.

If there were ANY way that Nelson could ship Terry away and fill that slot with Fernandez he'd be a fool not to jump on it. Clear long-term upgrade over Terry.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
You watch a lot of Trailblazers games? You definitely have a different take on him than I do I've seen Fernandez play about 20 times over the past couple of years. His reputation was as a spot-up shooter coming in, and he's been about what was expected as a shooter. But he has also been surprisingly productive in open-court situations. He and Sergio Rodriguez also had a decent connection on lobs. He's not great at creating off the dribble, but that's not what you'd be bringing him in for. No, he's not a physical player, and no, he's not a defender. But given the current roster, the Mavericks are not going to be a lock-down defensive team on anyone (cf Kidd at the point and Dirk at PF).
I live in Portland. I've watched about 140 blazer games over the past two years. Rudy is garbage.

The funny thing is, I don't even need stats to back up why I don't like him. He's strictly a spot up shooter (unless his spanish bud sergio was giving him lob passes two years ago, and then I'd rather roddy get those anyway). Dribble? No way. Shot off the dribble? No freaking way. He's a prima dona, without a reason to be. He pouts. He uses way too much hair gel. Etc. Oh, and I can't tell you how many times Nate had to get in his ass for being a complete moron on defensive rotations.

For the sake of argument though, lets say he WAS a great spot up shooter. Lets say that fit our needs. In 23 min per game past year he scored 8 points on 37PERCENT SHOOTING.

I'm not saying Terry is the answer to our SG problems. I'm just saying that Rudy Freakin' Fernandez definitely is NOT.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-28-2010 at 03:26 AM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I live in Portland. I've watched about 140 blazer games over the past two years. Rudy is garbage.

The funny thing is, I don't even need stats to back up why I don't like him. He's strictly a spot up shooter (unless his spanish bud sergio was giving him lob passes two years ago, and then I'd rather roddy get those anyway). Dribble? No way. Shot off the dribble? No freaking way. He's a prima dona, without a reason to be. He pouts. He uses way too much hair gel. Etc. Oh, and I can't tell you how many times Nate had to get in his ass for being a complete moron on defensive rotations.

For the sake of argument though, lets say he WAS a great spot up shooter. Lets say that fit our needs. In 23 min per game past year he scored 8 points on 37PERCENT SHOOTING.

I'm not saying Terry is the answer to our SG problems. I'm just saying that Rudy Freakin' Fernandez definitely is NOT.
Wasn't he injured last year for a stretch? And the reason he wants out of Portland is that he's playing BEHIND Roy, and doesnt'feel like McMillian's system is givng him an opportunity to develop--maybe even that there's some kind of personal negative situation with McMillian. That will mess up a guy's numbers, not to mention his attitude.

I'm looking at what he does well (outside shooting) which happens to coincide nicely with what the Mavericks need. His contract, his availability and his potential to improve (v. Terry's lack of upside) make him attractive.

Even if Fernandez is just a lateral move, that's more lateral movement than the Mavericks will be seeing out of Jason Terry.

Just writing him off as 'garbage' sounds like you might have a different issue with him.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even if Fernandez is just a lateral move, that's more lateral movement than the Mavericks will be seeing out of Jason Terry.
ZING!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Just writing him off as 'garbage' sounds like you might have a different issue with him.
I'm pretty sure I laid out all my issues with him.

Injured or not, a player cannot shoot 37% for a SEASON. He still played 62 games.

Quote:
I'm looking at what he does well (outside shooting) which happens to coincide nicely with what the Mavericks need. His contract, his availability and his potential to improve (v. Terry's lack of upside) make him attractive.
If you're looking at this strictly from a financial move, it's great. Dumping Terry's 20million for a few mill that probably won't even stay.. yes that's an awesome move. Trying to make it seem like a good "on the court" decision, especially in a WIN NOW mentality, doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
And the reason he wants out of Portland is that he's playing BEHIND Roy, and doesnt'feel like McMillian's system is givng him an opportunity to develop--maybe even that there's some kind of personal negative situation with McMillian. That will mess up a guy's numbers, not to mention his attitude.
First of all, he's not NEARLY good enough to have any sort of issues with anything like minutes or rotation. He's got a huge attitude and I've watched him quit on games countless times because he didn't get a shot in a certain scenario or whatever. Also, I don't see him getting more than the 23 min per game here so how do we help that attitude at all (even if we WANTED to try to cater to some mediocre cry baby like that)

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-28-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of light

^ Thats what I am saying right there. And compare Portlands Roster to the Mavericks. Mavericks are basically an instant upgrade for Rudy Fernandez game style. I think he can be much more dynamic.

And its not so much Rudy being our two guard... But a combination of things.

Jason Terry gone. No more mismatches on D or 3 PG line up.

Caron moves to the 3 (This is better then Fernandez playing the 2. Caron will light it up here.)

And our bench is straight nasty. Barea/Roddy/Marion/Tim Thomas/Chandler. Start them and they beat a few teams in the east.

Its a low risk high reward. Its not like he's on a max contract... The guy is making pennies. Why let one of our TPE waste when we can pick him up for a TPE and maybe some 2nd rounders...

With Kidd finding him... With Dirk and Caron penetrating and clogging up the mid-range game why not get a taller guard who can knock down an open 3? And can grow with the team being only 25 years of age. (Also, you guys may want to watch Rudy Fernandez against the USA team...)

REALISTICALLY what other means do we have to get better? Trade Terry for an ALL IN type move? Terry and pieces for Gilbert Arenas? (I think Gilbert would be pretty nice as our two guard.) But we have much less to lose with Rudy Fernandez being here.

And I am about 98% sure we won't get Chris Paul.

What other ideas you guys have to make us instantly better?
blessednegr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessednegr0 View Post
And I am about 98% sure we won't get Chris Paul.

What other ideas you guys have to make us instantly better?
Wait.

If we can't get Paul, then there's nobody left right now who can instantly put us over the top...

No point in bogging down payroll for several years on someone like Gilbert Arenas - he's definitely a talent, but he's not a lock to put us over the top, especially when he's sitting on the sidelines wearing a suit.

Dirk's window will stay open for a couple more seasons - no point in slamming it shut prematurely. There's always an opportunity to make "the big trade" next season or the season after (wouldn't you rather have 'Melo than Gil?)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Wait.

If we can't get Paul, then there's nobody left right now who can instantly put us over the top...

No point in bogging down payroll for several years on someone like Gilbert Arenas - he's definitely a talent, but he's not a lock to put us over the top, especially when he's sitting on the sidelines wearing a suit.

Dirk's window will stay open for a couple more seasons - no point in slamming it shut prematurely. There's always an opportunity to make "the big trade" next season or the season after (wouldn't you rather have 'Melo than Gil?)

Oh man. Please don't get some of these people started on the "Melo" train, joking or not. Jesus, there will be no end to this. There always seems to be a new star that can come here and team up with Dirk. Melo is NOT going to come here, in NBA players minds this is small market hick town or retirementville unless you are offering a max contract to someone who isn't being offered relatively the same amount from other teams.

I said this about Lebron and it won't be ANY different with Melo. These guys don't want to come here and play with a big white dood that doesn't get respect from refs, isn't flashy, hip or outspoken. They don't see Dirk the way we do. My guess is that we won't see another top tier player that is clamoring to come here while Dirk is here. If we make a trade for someone, thats obviously a different story as they most likely won't have a choice but aside from posturing and using us for leverage, big names don't seem very interested.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I said this about Lebron and it won't be ANY different with Melo.
So Melo's already made up his mind on where he wants to go? That doesn't seem to be much of a knock on the Mavs.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #11
fluid.forty.one

2009-2010 Jason Terry: 16 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, 44% shooting, 37% 3 point shooting, 86% ft, 1.4 turnovers in 33 minutes off the bench.

2009-2010 Rudy Fernandez: 8 points, 2 assists, 2.6 rebounds, 37% shooting, 37% 3 point shooting, 86% ft, 1.2 turnovers in 23 minutes off the bench.

Don't believe the hype.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-28-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
2009-2010 Jason Terry: 16 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, 44% shooting, 37% 3 point shooting, 86% ft, 1.4 turnovers in 33 minutes off the bench.

2009-2010 Rudy Fernandez: 8 points, 2 assists, 2.6 rebounds, 37% shooting, 37% 3 point shooting, 86% ft, 1.2 turnovers in 23 minutes off the bench.

Don't believe the hype.
This doesn't include age at all. Terry is inevitably going to decline, and though it can be debated, Rudy is certainly should be getting better this offseason. Why can't he be more like his rookie season? You said you watched him a lot; if you knew we were getting the 08-09 Fernandez would you do the deal?

The other reason I like this is because of the minutes. If Terry's on the team, as a vet and all, I'm afraid the coaches will feel the pressure to play him his 30-33 minutes a game. Rudy just needs 20. That's 10-13 more minutes spread between Roddy and Butler and Dojo. That's a good thing.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
This doesn't include age at all. Terry is inevitably going to decline, and though it can be debated, Rudy is certainly should be getting better this offseason. Why can't he be more like his rookie season? You said you watched him a lot; if you knew we were getting the 08-09 Fernandez would you do the deal?

The other reason I like this is because of the minutes. If Terry's on the team, as a vet and all, I'm afraid the coaches will feel the pressure to play (Terry) his 30-33 minutes a game. Rudy just needs 20. That's 10-13 more minutes spread between Roddy and Butler and Dojo. That's a good thing.
Seeing how Rudy got super angry going from 30 minutes to 23 minutes, I don't get why everyone thinks he'll be down to play even less for the mavs.

Anyway, he got worse after his first season, but even then he wasn't that great. I honestly don't understand the love Rudy is getting. Besides, isn't he on the last year of his contract? Who says we even keep him if this is a "future" thing. All reports I've heard is that he ultimately wants to go back to spain.

He's not a short term fix because his numbers suck (37%. over 62 games. come on. +his prima dona ways, pouting and horrible, horrible defense)... and I'm pretty sure he won't stay once his contract is done... and even if he wanted to stay, I'd say that Roddy and Dojo are much better long term fixes.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-28-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #14
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

OK he's looking good in regular season.But in the playoff he is terrible.

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

If they can get Paul and Okafor for Butler, Terry, Roddy, Ajinca and 6M --
Dallas is set. (Fair balance IMO of youth, vets, talent, savings, money)

Paul at PG (creator), Kidd at SG (spot up), Marion (clean up), Dirk, Haywood (picks, etc)
DoJo (slasher), Okafor (inside post backup PF), Chandler (athletic Big), Stevenson (lockdown defender), JJB (3rd PG behind Kidd and Paul), Mahinmi ( - 6 fouls)

Fernandez or Webster - several others would be a nice addition if they could get one with a TPE -- but in general they would already be set.

IMO, the key is getting Paul and keeping Chandler and Haywood (Dirk is without question).

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #16
FiZth

FiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Paul at PG (creator), Kidd at SG (spot up), Marion (clean up), Dirk, Haywood (picks, etc)
DoJo (slasher), Okafor (inside post backup PF), Chandler (athletic Big), Stevenson (lockdown defender), JJB (3rd PG behind Kidd and Paul), Mahinmi ( - 6 fouls)
That's Lakers nightmare roster. Great length, stud at the PG position, great lockdown defenders for Kobe (Marion+Stevenson) and good help defenders (Kidd+Paul), as I remember Artest don't defend Dirk very well so he would be quite useless for Lakers.
FiZth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #17
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiZth View Post
That's Lakers nightmare roster. Great length, stud at the PG position, great lockdown defenders for Kobe (Marion+Stevenson) and good help defenders (Kidd+Paul), as I remember Artest don't defend Dirk very well so he would be quite useless for Lakers.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see it we probably can't make any big deals anymore. I think we ought to aim at making our SG spot more solid. There are only a few options at this point, some that come to my mind are - Rudy Fernandez, Tracy Mcgrady, and Delonte West. I have only seen highlights of Fernandez, so I can't really give a fair description of him. But I'd like to have him here, since he's young, he's 6'6, and his contract is cheap. T-Mac is finished imho, he would be an absolute last resort.

But it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up here. We have a near tradition of bringing these players who were good five years ago to our team and hoping they can recapture some of their old magic. And Delonte West is an option too. Delonte West is literally a MotherF*cker but I probably wouldn't mind him here. Just hope everyone keeps an eye on their mothers if we signed him. He's 6'4, a pretty good shooter, and he has some athletic ability. He can also handle the ball and he'd help our spacing.

We already know what we're going to get from Jet, so I think we ought to take a gamble on West. And West would also be able to play backup PG, which is better than watching JJ Barea pound the rock on offense and then get abused on defense.

So we'd have a lineup of
Kidd/Roddy/West
West/Roddy/Jet
Butler/Marion
Dirk/Marion
Haywood/Chandler
The two things I like about a signing of West, is that he allows Butler to be able to play at his natural spot at the 3. And he'd reduce the usage of Barea/Jet.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Chandler survived the first cut. As long as he doesn't have a setback, he should be a lock to make the team in Turkey.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #20
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Roddy has been busy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WWMPH4Algs
Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Roddy is funny guy.Hallo THX for calling Dallas Mavericks hahaha

Last edited by 41mvp; 07-28-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #22
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Fluid is obviously blinded by his intense hatred for the TrailBlazers. I too have seen many Portland games, and watched Rudy play FIBA ball for Spain.

Last year he was HURT for most of the year, poorly managed by Nate, and upset with his role. His rookie year he set AN NBA ROOKIE RECORD by hitting 159 threes at a very good clip of 40%. Also, Rudy has MUCH more of a game than being just a spot up shooter. That's part of why Rudy is upset in Portland. He's NOT just a spot up shooter, even though Nate has tried to use him that way. He's extremely athletic, and has some moves off the dribble. I remember how impressive he was when he single handedly kept Spain in the game against the US, including this SICK throwdown and 1 on D12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47VLce11WDM

I'm not saying Rudy is an all-star, but he's a much better player than you're playing him out to be, and he's better than Terry at this point.

Last edited by CadBane; 07-28-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #23
KINGBEEF

KINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the roughKINGBEEF is a jewel in the rough

IMO... we need to get him on our team like pronto!!! The guy is an assassin from the arch. All BS aside, when he's on, his shot is almost as automatic as KORVER!!! And on top of all of that he's taller than the JET. I say make the move and get him here before it's too late
Old 07-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #24
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Default Verdict: Definitely not 'garbage'.

Celtics, Bulls and Knicks are all apparently interested in FernƔndez.

Herein is a take on FernƔndez's game by Oregonian beat writer Jason Quick, who has covered the Blazers for 10 years.

Verdict: Definitely not 'garbage'.

Interesingly, no mention of hair gel or prima donna attitude--just that he's'unhappy'. Offset that by 'unselfish' and high basketball IQ and comparisons to Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton.

Fernandez on the Mavericks is probably moot, because he doesn't seem to be interested in playing Dallas, and because the Mavericks don't seem to have the same level of interest as the Celtics, Bulls or Knicks.

Also, a Terry for FernƔndez swap probably isn't viable because of how overpaid Terry is and how reasonably paid FernƔndez is.

But in terms of matching player skills to team needs, and availability to value, he'd be a good acquisition for Dallas.

Quote:
Celtics In Negotiations For Rudy Fernandez
by Tom Halzack on Jul 28, 2010 2:28 PM EDT in Rumors 64 comments

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!
by Tom Halzack

The Boston Celtics are currently in the ā€˜lead positionā€™ in negotiations with the Portland Trailblazers for Rudy Fernandez, according to a source. They have been in serious discussions since yesterday.

Other teams interested include New York and Chicago, but the Celtics are apparently getting the first shot, thus allowing one to assume they are a preferred destination, either in terms of desirability for Rudy or trading pieces for the Blazers.

Because of that information, I contacted Jason Quick, beat writer for the Oregonian (entering his 10th year), who was kind enough to offer an everyday observer and accomplished writerā€™s view of Rudy Fernandez.

From that conversationā€¦

Quote:
Rudy Fernandez is best known for being a three point shooter (obviously). He set the rookie record for 3 pointers made. But Jason feels he is a very good and currently under rated passer. His basketballā€¦(letā€™s all say it together)ā€¦IQā€¦is quite high.

Rudy sees the court well and will, at times, go for the between the legs (or the other players legs) pass. His teammates have to be alert for passes at any time as Rudy loves to pass and plays a very unselfish game when he gets the ball.

Fernandez feels that he is more than a one dimensional player and just wants the chance to prove it.
Jason agrees that Rudy isnā€™t among the quickest afoot, and doesnā€™t beat many people off the dribble, but says it wouldnā€™t be fair to characterize him as slow either. He gets open often by constantly running around the court through screens, similarly to Reggie Miller (or Rip Hamilton ā€“ my thought). He also is able to get free of his defender by running him into picks.

Rudy has added a tear drop shot in the lane in games, that he has been working on for a while in practice. While not a reliable shot yet, it should improve with time.

Rudy has quick hands and is a good anticipator in passing lanes. He was 3rd on the team in steals (62) and excellent in steals per minute played (2.06 per 48 minutes).

From Jason Quickā€™s recent articleā€¦
Fernandez, 25, is unhappy in Portland because of limited playing time behind All-Star Brandon Roy and because of the playing style of coach Nate McMillan, who primarily used Fernandez as an outside shooter, not the playmaker Fernandez believes he can be in the NBA.

Because of Rudyā€™s build he can be challenged defensively in the post at times and backed down by larger guards. Fernandez is 6ā€™ 6" and is listed at 185 lbs. With a solid frontline and the help defense that the Celtics play that would be minimized.

Jason thought Rudyā€™s defense would improve and he would be smart and quick enough to pick up the Celticsā€™ ā€˜help rotation styleā€™ of defense.

So, the Celtics are working to see if something can be arranged with the Blazers.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #25
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Celtics, Bulls and Knicks are all apparently interested in FernƔndez.

Herein is a take on FernƔndez's game by Oregonian beat writer Jason Quick, who has covered the Blazers for 10 years.

Verdict: Definitely not 'garbage'.

Interesingly, no mention of hair gel or prima donna attitude--just that he's'unhappy'. Offset that by 'unselfish' and high basketball IQ and comparisons to Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton.

Fernandez on the Mavericks is probably moot, because he doesn't seem to be interested in playing Dallas, and because the Mavericks don't seem to have the same level of interest as the Celtics, Bulls or Knicks.

Also, a Terry for FernƔndez swap probably isn't viable because of how overpaid Terry is and how reasonably paid FernƔndez is.

But in terms of matching player skills to team needs, and availability to value, he'd be a good acquisition for Dallas.
Obviously my "garbage" statement was a little hyperbolic. There's no one in the NBA that would be "garbage" or else they wouldn't be in the NBA.

I'm saying that he's not better than Terry RIGHT NOW and I don't want his attitude. You can't be a 37% shooter scoring 17 points-per-48-minutes and have a "demand a trade" attitude. If he wants to get more minutes, shoot better than freakin' 37% from the field.

Plus.. say you want to put up with that. Say you have faith that last year was a fluke because of injuries (which still is mind boggling to me, he played 75% of the season)... He's not going to get more than 23 minutes here. How do you think this is a good fit for him? And why would you believe that he'll be happy here with less than 23 minutes if he wasn't happy in portland with less than 23 minutes?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #26
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Quote:
...Say you have faith that last year was a fluke because of injuries (which still is mind boggling to me, he played 75% of the season)... He's not going to get more than 23 minutes here. How do you think this is a good fit for him? And why would you believe that he'll be happy here with less than 23 minutes if he wasn't happy in portland with less than 23 minutes?
Fluid, how sure can we be that it's the number of minutes? My sense is that he doesn't feel McMillian is respects him, or intends to use him in a way that highlights his strengths. (He may well feel that the same thing happened to Sergio Rodriguez. ) McMillian says the right things in print, but...you know...lip service. And yeah, the reality is that Rudy's vying for minutes behind a guy who's a young, stud, All-Star. He's not going to beat out Brandon Roy for a starter's spot. And Roy, unless he's injured, is gonna command heavy minutes for the next few years.

Players get askew with coaches all the time (like employees with bosses everywhere). I can imagine that it's really difficult to get realigned in that situation, particularly when there are issues of cultural differences, and cultural acclimation. Look no further than a young talent like Anthony Randolph in Golden State playing for infamously difficult-on-rookies Nellie. In fact, that's an interesting parallel. Randolph showed really good skills as a rookie, but he claims Nellie told him to just focus on rebounding. They got cross-wise, Randolph's minutes got irregular. Then he got injured. He didn't trust Nellie. Nellie, as has increasingly been the case, found it easier to discard a young talent rather reconcile and develop him. (Dirk is the lucky exception.) But people look at the skills Randolph has shown, and you'd have to look really hard to find a person who isn't looking for him to break out in New York with minutes and opportunityi.

I would think any player who has any aspiration wants to feel valued, not marginalized. It sounds like McMillian and the Blazers have pretty much marginalized Fernandez.

Why would a team be willing to risk taking on a player with attutide issues? A lot of times, just a change of scenery takes care of the problem. A player with any sense who's had problems in a previous situation with a previous coach, will understand the danger of getting a reputation as a head case, and the narrow margin for f-ups keeps him focused.

I think that in Dallas FernƔndez would get a decent shot at showing different aspects of his game. Paired with Kidd, he'd be a shooter. With Beaubois, whose playmaking and decision making are still developing, FernƔndez might be called on a little more to be a passer and playmaker. I tend to think that as long as he got an opportunity to play and show what he could do, the attitude issues would dissipate. Given the talent he's shown and the minimal investment required, I'd be willing to see what happened.

That said, I'm not sure that Dallas is the best opportunity for Fernandez. The Knicks, for example, would be a lot more likely to give him the best opportunity for big minutes and free rein. Chicago would be the best opportunity to catch on with a team on the cusp of making a dramatic improvement. He wouldn't be as featured a player there because of the talent there (Rose, Deng, Boozer), but if he wanted to fit with a team on the way up, Chicago is a good opportunity. In Boston, he'd be more of a role player, playing behind Ray Allen who's on his last legs. But Boston's team defense would cover for his individual deficiencies. AND they seem to be the team with the most interest in him and the most to offer Portland in exchange.

I'm soured on the pro sports for a lot of reasons, and pay about a tenth as much attention as I used to. But watching a young player with talent get an opportunity to develop is one of the few things about the NBA that catches my attention anymore. FernƔndez will be on my list next year, and I hope to be able to say "I told you so." ForƧa, Rudy!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #27
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Fluid is obviously blinded by his intense hatred for the TrailBlazers. I too have seen many Portland games, and watched Rudy play FIBA ball for Spain.

Last year he was HURT for most of the year, poorly managed by Nate, and upset with his role. His rookie year he set AN NBA ROOKIE RECORD by hitting 159 threes at a very good clip of 40%. Also, Rudy has MUCH more of a game than being just a spot up shooter. That's part of why Rudy is upset in Portland. He's NOT just a spot up shooter, even though Nate has tried to use him that way. He's extremely athletic, and has some moves off the dribble. I remember how impressive he was when he single handedly kept Spain in the game against the US, including this SICK throwdown and 1 on D12.

I'm not saying Rudy is an all-star, but he's a much better player than you're playing him out to be, and he's better than Terry at this point.
"From Jason Quickā€™s recent articleā€¦
Fernandez, 25, is unhappy in Portland because of limited playing time behind All-Star Brandon Roy and because of the playing style of coach Nate McMillan, who primarily used Fernandez as an outside shooter, not the playmaker Fernandez believes he can be in the NBA."

Looks like Mr. Quick concurs.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #28
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
"From Jason Quickā€™s recent articleā€¦
Fernandez, 25, is unhappy in Portland because of limited playing time behind All-Star Brandon Roy and because of the playing style of coach Nate McMillan, who primarily used Fernandez as an outside shooter, not the playmaker Fernandez believes he can be in the NBA."

Looks like Mr. Quick concurs.
Boston does need that 3rd wing, with Tony Allen now cashing in on his playoff run. Should easily see 24-30 a night in the regular season.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #29
fluid.forty.one

Quote:

lol NBA rookie record. He's been playing professional ball since he was like 16. He wasn't your typical "NBA rookie".

Dude, it's not my Blazer hatred. I would LOVE to get Aldridge as a backup here. I'd love to get Roy if the price was right. Pryzbilla would have been a great backup if he was healthy. Bayliss, Batum, Cunningham. There's lots of Blazers I would trade for. Rudy is not one of them.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #30
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Good points
Old 07-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #31
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:

Dwight Howard would have falttened that ball against the glass had Fernandez not have used his left hand to try an block Dwight's block (so to speak).
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #32
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Dwight Howard would have falttened that ball against the glass had Fernandez not have used his left hand to try an block Dwight's block (so to speak).
. . . and we already have so many guys that protect their dunk with their off hand like that. Terry does that all the time.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #33
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
. . . and we already have so many guys that protect their dunk with their off hand like that. Terry does that all the time.
Imagine Terry attempting that dunk. It would have been a true posterization...the other way around...
Old 07-29-2010, 03:47 PM   #34
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

This guy gives a pretty balanced look at the pros and cons of Rudy. But he concludes that he's worth a look for a team in need of a 2.

Quote:
Teams should try to trade for Rudy Fernandez
By Kelly Dwyer

Maybe Rudy Fernandez(notes) shouldn't have set that NBA rookie record, a few years ago. Remember which one he claimed?

I didn't. Skeets and Tas gave me a bit of an trivia lesson earlier this month, and when the question was posed as to which NBA rookie set the record for most three-pointers in a season, I was stumped.

It was Fernandez, at 159, during 2008-09. Kind of blows me away that no other rookie has managed two three-pointers a game in his rookie year, but the person behind the record just doesn't seem right. Fernandez, in his two NBA seasons, always struck me as an all-around talent, and not just a three-point shooter. And Rudy, to his credit, has tried to push the perimeter-based part of his resume onto the backburner. Even took part in the dunk contest. I'm sorry for bringing that up.

But Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan, for whatever reason, doesn't seem Rudy as someone to hand the ball to. It makes a little bit of sense - you want Brandon Roy(notes) using as many possessions as he can, and Andre Miller(notes) is no slouch as a point man - but those guys can't hound the rock forever. Or, for 48 minutes. So why not hand Rudy the ball, and at the same time, hand him his game back?

Ah, forget that. The Blazers are just going to trade the guy.

To possibly the Celtics, Bulls, or Knicks; Jason Quick reports.

All three would love to have them. And if I were a fan of either of those teams, I'd welcome him to a new city with open arms. I'd be wary about some things, but then I'd get past them.

What's to be wary about? Well, Fernandez hasn't been all that great in two NBA seasons. Average in his rookie year, and below average last year. A fine shooter, to be sure, but someone who has taken a ridiculous 63 percent of his shots from behind the arc. Ray Allen(notes) is another (nearly) record-setting three-point shooter and (weirdly) a dunk contest participant, and he's only taken a third of his career looks from long range. And even these days, with Allen's forays to the basket seemingly few and far between, and the years ticking away, Ray only takes about 40 percent of his shots from behind the three-point line.

On top of that, though he's only started nine NBA games in his career, three of those came in the playoffs last season, against the Suns. Phoenix, a team that can't play defense despite all the on-air proclamations about how things have improved markedly (or even partially) on that end. Should have been right up Rudy's alley, which sounds like an album title, and yet he only managed 7.3 points on 6-17 shooting. Five assists, during that turn, at just under 26 minutes a game.

And yet, this is where I throw all this stuff out. All this actual documentation of how things actually went down with him on the court. All this proof we have, spread out over 3700 NBA minutes during the regular and postseason.

Because, if it's not his game that he's playing, how can we criticize him for not playing it well?

This is a prickly path to go down. You can scan the internets for scads of columns I've written criticizing certain players for straying from a coach's seemingly righteous intended path. For wanting to play their game, above the team game.

But Rudy, just by watching the guy play, seems different. There are a lot of Rudys in this league, players who aren't used properly in one fashion or another, and I think this guy could be a sterling pickup for a team that needs someone to run stuff off the bench. Or even a starter, and second ball-handler. Perhaps, like - I don't know - Kirk Hinrich(notes) was i Chicago over the last two years?

Not to demand that he ends up in Cook County, but you get the picture. A starter, and someone to take over on a team that can be aided by their point guard playing off the ball sometimes. Or to take over running the show when the starting point man sits, because of the sheer amount of shoot-first backups in this league. Or just your typical mini-Manu, ham and egging it off the pine.

"Or just your typical mini-Manu, ham and egging it off the pine." Sportswriting.

Either way, with just one year and just under $1.25 left on his contract (there's a quite affordable team option for $2.1 million to follow in 2011-12), Fernandez could be a steal. And even if he keeps playing the way he's played - slightly below average - he's a steal. $1.25 million!
So yes, team, give up that first round pick. Give it up in an instant. This guy is either going to be a bust out player for you, or well worth what a team like Chicago or Boston (with a selection in the low teens or probable 20s) would end up paying for a first round guaranteed deal at that slot anyway. If you kept the pick, and ended up drafting a guy of Rudy's 2010-11 caliber, you'd be ecstatic. Even with him playing at his lowest ebb, as we may have seen last year.

This is worth chasing down, NBA. Take advantage of a team that might not know what it has.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #35
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
I brought it up more because I want to see it called more. If you ever have it happen to you in a pickup game it's pretty frustrating. It enables players to free up a shot. Sort of like hooking a defender.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #36
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The numbers will make it hard to do a Rudy for JET swap. Gotta bring a third team in probably.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #37
41mvp
Golden Member

Fernandez want many minutes.Boston is not for him.In Boston are Pierce and Allen this both player are superstars.He always will be substitution player in all teams.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #38
fluid.forty.one

2009-2010 Jose Barea: 7.6 points, 3.3 assists, 2 rebounds, 44% shooting, 36% 3 point shooting, 85% ft, 1.3 turnovers in 20 minutes off the bench.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-28-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #39
CadBane
Banned

Fluid, you keep using Rudy's numbers from last year as an indicator of the player he is, and that's not really fair. He was injured, disgruntled, and mis-managed last year. He's clearly a better player than those numbers, as demonstrated in his rookie year alone.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #40
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Fluid, you keep using Rudy's numbers from last year as an indicator of the player he is, and that's not really fair. He was injured, disgruntled, and mis-managed last year. He's clearly a better player than those numbers, as demonstrated in his rookie year alone.
Even though I think it's bologna that being disgruntled or mismanaged is good reason to shoot 37%, I also don't think that a player of his caliber (good role player) should be allowed to be so disgruntled after 1 bad season. This isn't Chris Bosh or Jason Kidd we're talking about. You honestly don't have a problem with a role player like him being this publicly disgruntled and asking for a trade? (his being disgruntled, by the way, started right after Sergio left. NOT after a year of "mismanagement").

Just about every single Blazer fan I know hates Rudy and can't wait to see him gone. I think there's a good reason for that.

Still Cadbane, no one has answered this. If Rudy wasn't content with 23 minutes in Portland, why do you think he'll be content with 23 minutes here. If 23 minutes is considered him being "mismanaged" - which you say contributed to his really sh*tty season - why exactly wouldn't that be a problem here as well?

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 07-28-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 6feetunderdog, ban cad, big thread kill board, cad is a troll, cadbane=vagina dentana, cadpain in the ass, fell=fail, fluid guzzler!, fluidfartyone!, gay tags, grandma cigarettes, it's a race no running!?!, mammoth gortat, mammoth knockers, mammoth thread, miami cheat, more bloody cuntbane, shut the fluff up, smc = sucks many c*cks, then stop posting in it, underdog=legallyretarded, we luv us sum fluffy, where is fluffy?, wtf is fell?...