Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #81
Captain Jack Sparrow
Banned

Captain Jack Sparrow can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Ooops you got me! Cant wait until Tuesday to go up 2-0!!!!
Captain Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 AM   #82
tremaine

tremaine has a spectacular aura abouttremaine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I don't really remember cases where refs do a 180 from total blindness to calling it right for a team IN GAME. There were instances where the Mavs weren't even all that aggressive and they were still getting called for chippy fouls.

At what price do you try to force the issue with physical defense on Denver? How do you throw that to your players and still hope the refs don't go overboard? You can try but it's still out of your hands, it's still on the refs.
Your question and explanation is right on point, and this is for the opponent the catch-22 or the horns of the dilemma, or maybe the damned if you do, damned if you don't of this series and of every series that the Nuggets are in this year.

But I keep watching these Nuggets not give a damn about how many fouls they commit, and I keep seeing all their stare downs and sick faces made at the referees after every single foul that is called on them. Every single Nugget, when he is called for a foul, is like: "You are a total loser and wuss for even thinking about calling a foul on me. Just stay out of the way and let me keep running around and being as rough as I damn well please."

I'm not saying the Nuggets don't do a lot of good defending without fouling: they do. But I am saying that the Nuggets are using their athleticism, their speed, their intensity, and even their facial expressions to intimidate the referees a little. And that is all it takes to swing a game: to scare the referees a little.

So I fear the only way the Nuggets can be defeated is to scare the referees a little bit from the other direction.

I keep saying to myself: "No, what the Nuggets are doing is not exactly basketball, this is something a little different here. Yes, the Nuggets have some damned good basketball players, but since when does a franchise have the right to modify the game and expect the referees to go along? Who made the Nuggets' GM Co-Commissioner of the NBA?"

So I want a team to go all out to stop this, even at the risk of a technical and/or flagrant or two or three. I really am that pissed off.

This is what the Nuggets are thinking these days:

(1)They will beat down to submission (which on the court is turnovers and bad shot selection) any team that does not stand up for itself by getting rough and tough in response, up to and including actions that might cause technicals and flagrants and

(2)A team such as Dallas will not have the gumption to do that, for whatever reason, or they won't have the means to do it, because they are like that tremaine guy, they think basketball should not be made more like football.

I want the Nuggets to be proved wrong as soon as possible; it's much better if the Mavericks can do it than if it has to wait for the Lakers.

Quote:
What are guys told usually or what do you hear:
If you aggressive you'll get rewarded or bailed out with the call. It's not supposed to be a cat and mouse game with the ref, It's not: "well, we are gonna test you, do it x amount times and THEN we'll give it to you."
You are exactly right again; it's not supposed to be a cat and mouse game, but what if in this particular series, against this particular team, it is a cat and mouse game?

Quote:
What you see all the time is a performance like this and coaches and/or players will talk about it in the media and you can usually see a change in the foul dynamics in the next game. If you put the onus on the refs in the game and it didn't work...it seems the next natural step is to do it even more after the game with calling them out. It'll hurt the wallet that way but it doesn't potentially run you the risk of getting ejected.
Yes, this is an excellent alternative thing to do if the Mavericks truly think that the referees will start tossing their players if they up the ante. Marc Cuban is going to have to get his wallet out again, but for an extremely good cause.
tremaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #83
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

That was pretty painful to watch, but I can't say I'm surprised. I really hope I'm wrong, but I honestly don't think we have much of a chance in this series. A chance, sure, but just not a very good one.

Denver's roster is just more stacked than ours. They've got scorers at every position, and they're a better defensive team.

We've got to do better on Nene, though. If we can hold him to single digits, then we might have a shot. Oh yeah, and 20 turnovers, 8 of them from our starting PG, doesn't help either.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-04-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:06 AM   #84
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGreen17 View Post
My point exactly. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees stuff like this. And he scored efficiently, yes. Where was he down the stretch when things started to get bad?
Standing there watching Kidd turnover the ball.

He can't do anything if Kidd never gets the ball to him.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:09 AM   #85
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Here's what really scares me after this game: I don't know how the Mavs can defeat what the Thuggets were doing to them today. And I don't think they do either.

If they take it inside, the shot just gets blocked. Every time. They can't get to the rim because every time they do they block it. It's in their head too, and I think that accounts of a lot of the sloppy play at the end of the game. They were so worried about getting blocked they forgot to take care of the ball.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #86
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

I don't know why everyone is going bonkers - we have barely won any road games all season against playoff teams - that and the fact that crawford was the ref basically meant we were very unlikely to take this game. So what if we didn't? this isnt a 1 game series and we were hanging with the nuggets for a long time until kidd and terry somewhat unraveled - it may be the altitude so it may be a bit better after being in denver for a couple of nights. On average we are 15 points better at home than on the road.
Just make the adjustments and have another go in game 2 to steal one and then protect your Homecourt.
the whole not driving part will change if the reffing goes a little bit more our way - as will their ability to drive whenever they want.

Last edited by Lor20; 05-04-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #87
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremaine View Post
Your question and explanation is right on point, and this is for the opponent the catch-22 or the horns of the dilemma, or maybe the damned if you do, damned if you don't of this series and of every series that the Nuggets are in this year.

But I keep watching these Nuggets not give a damn about how many fouls they commit, and I keep seeing all their stare downs and sick faces made at the referees after every single foul that is called on them. Every single Nugget, when he is called for a foul, is like: "You are a total loser and wuss for even thinking about calling a foul on me. Just stay out of the way and let me keep running around and being as rough as I damn well please."

I'm not saying the Nuggets don't do a lot of good defending without fouling: they do. But I am saying that the Nuggets are using their athleticism, their speed, their intensity, and even their facial expressions to intimidate the referees a little. And that is all it takes to swing a game: to scare the referees a little.

So I fear the only way the Nuggets can be defeated is to scare the referees a little bit from the other direction.

I keep saying to myself: "No, what the Nuggets are doing is not exactly basketball, this is something a little different here. Yes, the Nuggets have some damned good basketball players, but since when does a franchise have the right to modify the game and expect the referees to go along? Who made the Nuggets' GM Co-Commissioner of the NBA?"

So I want a team to go all out to stop this, even at the risk of a technical and/or flagrant or two or three. I really am that pissed off.

This is what the Nuggets are thinking these days:

(1)They will beat down to submission (which on the court is turnovers and bad shot selection) any team that does not stand up for itself by getting rough and tough in response, up to and including actions that might cause technicals and flagrants and

(2)A team such as Dallas will not have the gumption to do that, for whatever reason, or they won't have the means to do it, because they are like that tremaine guy, they think basketball should not be made more like football.

I want the Nuggets to be proved wrong as soon as possible; it's much better if the Mavericks can do it than if it has to wait for the Lakers.

You are exactly right again; it's not supposed to be a cat and mouse game, but what if in this particular series, against this particular team, it is a cat and mouse game?

Yes, this is an excellent alternative thing to do if the Mavericks truly think that the referees will start tossing their players if they up the ante. Marc Cuban is going to have to get his wallet out again, but for an extremely good cause.
Just out of curiousity, are the refs scared Kenyon Martin or JR Smith is going to this to them?
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #88
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i think we had a real shot at that game, until the 4th quarter when we just had another meltdown
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #89
GoNugs

GoNugs is infamous around these partsGoNugs is infamous around these partsGoNugs is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremaine View Post
Well this may be a reach, but my latest theory is that Denver is a football town, but since the Broncos suck, the Colorado Sports Fathers (whoever they are, remember, this is just my wild theory to try to explain how the Nuggets are getting away with this) decided to remake the Nuggets in the football mode.

So at a secret meeting, they decided: "If the real football team sucks, then by God, we'll make the Nuggets a lot more like a football team!" "Nice thinking, Earl!"

Laugh out loud. But there is always some truth in humor, I warn you.

My brother told me years ago that he could not be a basketball fan because he thought the referees took sides, if not on purpose then by accident. I stubbornly didn't agree with him then, but his opinion is worth another look these days.

This Nuggets thing has become like one of those really bad and stupid movies that hardly anyone ever watches.

Tonights feature: Can a thuggish but well meaning basketball team keep routing teams with a simplistic, but very disruptive style of playing the game? A style which is way out on the far outer fringes of the rules?

I hate bad movies.

Just out of curriousity....who are you a fan of? Or are you just a Nuggets hater.

You've been "following" around the Nuggets from board to board through the playoffs...trashing them at every turn.

The Nuggets are a sound defensive team. Last time I looked, that was part of the game...no?

Refs in the NBA suck...there is no argument about that. It's my belief, that over a series...the calls even out. If Nuggets end up the series with 100 more free throws - then yeah, surely throw some blame at the refs...but over the course of the series...it evens out.

You get calls when you drive to the hoop. Look at the difference in how the two teams played offensively. That explains some of the calls or lack of calls...imo of course.
GoNugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #90
TNT

TNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to all

ok americans, i will tell you what is differnce in europe and american basketball fans.

Europe basketball fans belive in their favourite team in the end..
here i can read that lot of users say that nuggets is better and blabla. Sorry guys, but i belive in the end.

for example my home team in europe tu/rock won permi ural great. Nobody belived in it.
my home team budget was 1 million dollar and peri ural great had over 10 million..

Teamwork is that what matters in basketball and fans who love and support their team in good and bad and belive they can win every game..

Mybe i'm to optimistic, but i never think about losing a game before it starts...

So, peace to everybody and greetings from europe!

GO MAVS!!!

Last edited by TNT; 05-04-2009 at 08:06 AM.
TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #91
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
ok americans, i will tell you what is differnce in europe and american basketball fans.

here i can read that lot of users say that nuggets is better and blabla. Sorry guys, but i belive in the end.

for example my home team in europe tu/rock won permi ural great. Nobody belived in it.
my home team budget was 1 million dollar and peri ural great had over 10 million..

Teamwork is that what matters in basketball and fans who love and support their team in good and bad and belive they can win every game..

Mybe i'm to optimistic, but i never think about losing a game before it starts...

GO MAVS!!!

Oh, how I would love to pick on your English. But your points are good too much!
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #92
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Did I just see a Nug troll arguing with another Nug troll? Wow...they really are that stupid, aren't they?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #93
johnnydb

johnnydb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNugs View Post
Just out of curriousity....who are you a fan of? Or are you just a Nuggets hater.

You've been "following" around the Nuggets from board to board through the playoffs...trashing them at every turn.

The Nuggets are a sound defensive team. Last time I looked, that was part of the game...no?

Refs in the NBA suck...there is no argument about that. It's my belief, that over a series...the calls even out. If Nuggets end up the series with 100 more free throws - then yeah, surely throw some blame at the refs...but over the course of the series...it evens out.

You get calls when you drive to the hoop. Look at the difference in how the two teams played offensively. That explains some of the calls or lack of calls...imo of course.
Yes, this person has been following the Nuggets around from board to board - doing nothing but trashing them.

It is time for everyone to realize that the Nuggets are finally playing defense, which is why they are a much better team this year, than in past years.
johnnydb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #94
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

sorry if it has already been posted:

The Mavericks weren't pleased with the officiating in Game 1, to put it mildly.

That shouldn't come as a shock. The Mavs never seem to be pleased when they see Dan Crawford. They've won one of their last 16 playoff games that Crawford has officiated.
Is it a coincidence that Crawford got the Dallas-Denver series opener? Not if you buy into my conspiracy theory.

Remember Mark Cuban's ref-ripping Twitter incident after the Mavs' last regular-season meeting with the Nuggets? Cuban couldn't believe J.R. Smith didn't get called for a technical after blatantly taunting Antoine Wright late in the game and pointed out that the same crew chief also worked the Mavs' previous meeting against the Nuggets, which had a controversial finish and featured some Smith/Wright drama that Cuban smack dab in the middle of.

That NBA fined Cuban $25,000 for that tweet. While he hasn't said so publicly, it's a safe bet that Cuban believed it was money well spent to make sure that Ronnie Garretson wouldn't work a Mavs-Nuggets playoff game.

The league just happened to assign the opener to a ref that has even worse recent history with Cuban's Mavericks.

---

One of the last 16 games? Give me a f'ing break.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 05-04-2009 at 10:23 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #95
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

The complaining about Refs is so weak, we should be better than that.

Our bigs played a bad game, they weren't very physical and allowed too many layups.

Kidd had a too many turnovers, Jet and Bass didn't show up.

The main problem I saw was the team not TOUGH enough. The weren't pushing back very well. They didn't push back when Dirk got shoved down. I see that as the same thing as a the D.West cheek tap. You can't let that happen again. We will lose this series in horrific fashion if we don't match thier toughness. I think we can but we obviously need this game tomorrow.

**Someone needs to throttle JR Smith and the Birdman.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #96
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post

GO MAVS!!!
Teamwork is NOT what wins in American Basketball.

Officiating controls games, and games are controlled by MONEY.

This is why European teams with half the talent regularly give the US absolute fits in World competition. If the US doesn't have their officials, then they have to play a totally different style to win games.

The US used to overcome easily because they had so much talent, but they are having much more trouble now, because European teams are using teamwork and US teams don't control the officiating anymore.

Watch the US teams and see how they play in World competition as compared to how they play in the playoffs. Totally different game. Rules are different how how they are administered is different.

The NBA is a business with a business product. The World Basketball and European/South American basketball teams are TEAMS. They are just different products.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #97
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Complaining may be weak, but I'm going to continue doing it.

Free throws:
Denver - 36
Dallas - 13

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #98
johnnydb

johnnydb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post

Our bigs played a bad game, they weren't very physical and allowed too many layups.

The main problem I saw was the team not TOUGH enough. The weren't pushing back very well. They didn't push back when Dirk got shoved down. I see that as the same thing as a the D.West cheek tap. You can't let that happen again. We will lose this series in horrific fashion if we don't match thier toughness. I think we can but we obviously need this game tomorrow.

Great post
johnnydb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #99
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

The Thuggets simply out muscled the Mavs.

Forget the fouls...the calls/non-calls...the Mavs got punked.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Mavs countinue to wuss out...they they will lose in 4...however they can and should bring on the attitude that Dampier stated when he threatened to put Parker on his back.

They don't need to make any public statements...but they do need to get an enforcer attitude about them...if they get punched, they need to punch back...what the heck, turn the game into an on-court brawl!!!

Force the NBA to watch the Thuggets pulling their stuff...get players suspended and turn this into a truly ugle representation of the NBA!!!

I don't care if anyone or everyone gets suspended...but the Mavs need to quit being soft!!! I would love to see a bit of a hockey mentality...

Dirk is getting hacked, bumped, punched, pulled...you name it...the Mavs need to put a few Thuggets on their backs!!! Anderson, Martin etc...

Forget the officials...if they are going to not call a game the way they do, then take it into your own hands!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #100
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

So the consensus here is that the Mavs should stop whining about the refs and start throwing elbows???

Maybe pro wrestling and basketball aren't so different after all...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #101
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish my basketball team had the word "THUG" somewhere in their nickname.

We need to suck it up and step up tomorrow. Maybe were not good enough to beat this team in 7 but we can make sure to stand up and match them physically.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #102
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
So the consensus here is that the Mavs should stop whining about the refs and start throwing elbows???

Maybe pro wrestling and basketball aren't so different after all...
Apparently that seems to be the idea being tossed around. I don't agree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
That was pretty painful to watch, but I can't say I'm surprised. I really hope I'm wrong, but I honestly don't think we have much of a chance in this series. A chance, sure, but just not a very good one.

Denver's roster is just more stacked than ours. They've got scorers at every position, and they're a better defensive team.

We've got to do better on Nene, though. If we can hold him to single digits, then we might have a shot. Oh yeah, and 20 turnovers, 8 of them from our starting PG, doesn't help either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend View Post
Here's what really scares me after this game: I don't know how the Mavs can defeat what the Thuggets were doing to them today. And I don't think they do either.

If they take it inside, the shot just gets blocked. Every time. They can't get to the rim because every time they do they block it. It's in their head too, and I think that accounts of a lot of the sloppy play at the end of the game. They were so worried about getting blocked they forgot to take care of the ball.
I think the ending totally negates what most people saw for 3 quarters. This game was back and forth for about 30 minutes...maybe 36 tops. In spite of the bad defense in the paint and the FT/Foul issue, the game was still close. Then they hit that stretch where the wheels came off and they had the stretch of not scoring and turning the ball over:
12 possessions, 0-6 and six turnovers. That's game over right there.

I think we can still find ways to compete. They might have us outgunned but our guns could easily pack just as much of a punch as their guys. One of the problems is the 3 point shot doesn't seem like much of a weapon after game 1. You have to see if that's a trend or how you can free that up.

Getting deep in the paint was a concern I've mentioned, it's not a new problem though. Jet specifically had that problem in the Spurs series. The wing defenders weren't able to keep up with him but they had help with their last line of defense. They've gotta be ready to STOP at about 5 feet or so and pull up for the jumper or be ready to pass the ball for when the defense collapses on them. That'll help reduce the blocks and it might even create more 3 point opportunities.

I still think we have a chance to be competitive and take the series. I said Mavs in 7...so I knew this wouldn't be easy if it was going to get done.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #103
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a couple of Nugz-Hornets games and this is exactly what the Nugz were doing to CheatP3, they were fouling the Sh*t out of him. Kinda like what they're doing to Dirk, I said it earlier that refs were going to be huge in this series. If these guys are going to continue to manhandle Dirk and Dirk gets no FT's were in some deep trouble. With all the punishment Dirk took he only got 5 Fts?!
And for those who are saying "Lets get physical" we can't get physical because every one of our players is gunna foul out if we do. Did you not see the touch fouls the Nuggets we're getting? Its not a good idea to get physical if the other team is going to get calls of little contact and touch fouls. We have to hope that Jet, J-ho and Kidd play better. Hope for some toughness from Damp and Hollins. Pray for some better Defense, and pray to god we get some better officiating. That is all.

Last edited by LSMF; 05-04-2009 at 11:28 AM.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #104
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
And for those who are saying "Lets get physical" we can't get physical because every one of our players is gunna foul out if we do.
I'd love to see David Stern defend his refs if our entire squad fouled out...

(it might be worth trying just to make a statement about the NBA's officiating...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-04-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #105
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Some of my thoughts:

- alby is right about the calls. 36-13 in favor of the Nuggets is huge. I'm not saying that the calls should be exactly even, but it should never be so lopsided.
- Denver defenders are pushing Dirk at his waist when he goes up for a shot. It totally sets the player off balance. I would rather be slapped in the arm, and still have a chance to recover/put up a shot, than be pushed in the waist and have to throw something up totally off-balance. Refs need to call this.
- Carter and JR complain about calls almost as much as Duncan/Parker. I mean, come on, you're being posted up by a 7-footer, and you really don't think you fouled him??...or you jump into a 7-footer on a loose ball and you really think you got all ball?...wow.
- Kidd won't have this bad of a game for the rest of the series.
- I'm wondering when Terry is going to break out...
- Captain Jack Sparrow (6 posts) may have been the fastest ban in the history of D-M that wasn't a bot! (Rep to the mod that banned this idiot)
- Nuggets fans post here because they don't have a well developed board. Sucks to be Denver... =/

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #106
tremaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNugs View Post
Yes, you have one hell of a defensive team. If you think you can win a Championship without any offensive focus or schemes other than the fast break, with your offense based entirely on your defense, then go for it. You have almost unbelievable defensive intensity and speed. So take your best shot. Basing every last thing on defense is way out there on the edge, but it is interesting to watch, and it's like a scientific experiment: how far can a team goes if it does this?

All I and others here I think are saying is that the referees had better not be steamrolled by your defense along with the other team! If that happens the game of basketball is damaged.

Imperfect referees? Inevitable. Steamrolled referees? No way. That spoils the game and starts to turn it into football. We want and expect the referees to keep their focus and make sure they keep the rules in mind as they watch the Nuggets' "outstanding and intimidating" defense.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #107
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'd love to see David Stern defend his refs if our entire squad fouled out...

(it might be worth trying just to make a statement about the NBA's officiating...)
Maybe it is worth it, but if all of our players fouled out and we lost. At the end of the day we still lost, I've all ready learned over the years of watching this team that Stern hates us. If we lose even though we were blatantly screwed it doesn't matter to these guys, no one will show us any sympathy.

Its that simple, it seems they're gunna let the Nuggets get away with boatloads of contact and we're gunna get called for touch fouls. BTW Underdog, did you see that "FOUL" on Hollins on J.R.Smith's Layup attempt? I was freaking out when I saw that play. Then did you see Kenyon Martin grabbing Dirk's jersey right in front of the Refs? Dirk fired up a shot expecting the call but he didn't get it even though it was a blatant foul. Those two plays sum up that game, one team is allowed to play super physical and the other team is getting called for touch fouls.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #108
LSMF
Diamond Member

Hey folks check this play out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ges60_VAQhA
Fast Forward to the 1:53 mark of the video, the "FOUL" on Hollins. Tell me thats not a horrible call
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #109
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Some of my thoughts:
- Denver defenders are pushing Dirk at his waist when he goes up for a shot. It totally sets the player off balance. I would rather be slapped in the arm, and still have a chance to recover/put up a shot, than be pushed in the waist and have to throw something up totally off-balance. Refs need to call this.
or grabbing his arm. (Was that the end of the 2nd?) There was a ref right on that, with the no-call. And there's the old "put the hands up and walk straight forward while he's shooting" defense that earns KMart an extra couple replays and accolades from the broadcast crew.

On the other hand, we don't know if Dirk would get called for these, 'cause he sticks with his "swipe the arm while backing away" sort of defense. Not what you'd call aggressive.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #110
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

The refs may have called it a bit one sided, but I don't think its as bad as many are saying because the Nuggets did take it to the whole more, our brains tend to filter out the calls that went the Mavs way, and home court advantage tends to sway the refs (as it will for our home games). Even with perfect officiating, the Mavs should've been at least +5 on fouls.

Regardless of the reffing situation, the Mavs, especially Kidd and Terry, need to cut down on the sloppy passes and lazy ball handling. Some of those turnovers were good plays by the Nuggets defense, but at least half of them were just atrocious passes or mishandling the ball. We need to make them pay for jumping the passing lanes with pass fakes and back cuts. I fully expect Kidd to come back and play much better.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #111
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Fast Forward to the 1:53 mark of the video, the "FOUL" on Hollins. Tell me thats not a horrible call
as much as that ticks me off (would he not have been called if he'd stepped into the offensive player aggressively?), the poor passing that immediately followed on the other end ticks me off worse.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #112
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoeschmoe View Post
The refs may have called it a bit one sided, but I don't think its as bad as . . . with perfect officiating, the Mavs should've been at least +5 on fouls.
+5 (on fouls) rather than -23 (on free throws) would translate to what, 15 points less a the free-throw line for Denver, and considerably less aggression by Denver (or more by the Mavs)?

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 05-04-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #113
Dallas2009CHAMPS

Dallas2009CHAMPS will become famous soon enough

I believe the nuggets outplayed and outhustled the mavericks tonight. They definitely bothered Nowitzki and Kidd looked like a fool with those turnovers.

i believe Jet played well but he needs to be more of a factor. Howard was hurt, but wasnt he benched too long along with Damp?

JJ played nicely to his role, but he needs to drive more then just kick it out faster before the Nuggets D can react, Wright got too many fouls (that i think most shouldnt have been called seeing the nuggets are playing us muuuuch more physically) I think he should start on anthony on tuesday. Hollins was also bogged by fouls, he should be jumping more and contesting every shot next game (smartly of course)

As for Bass, he looked like a fish out of water. He's used to dominating other players with athleticism and brutish strength but now i think he is being habdled a bit. I want him to be more physical and I want him matched up with the ugly ass birdman. Back the F--k down out of him and just abuse him with physical D and physical offense. Fake him as he's likely to jump for it and draw the foul, if he doesnt try to back him down and just dunk on him. STRONG ASS DUNKS, if he gets block just go for it again next time around he gets the chance. Just frustrate the guy.

and... Congratulations Carmelo Anthony to your first and last 2nd round playoff win..
Old 05-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #114
LSMF
Diamond Member

Even Dirk Felt they deserved more calls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5RhQ4D50Zg
Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #115
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1608

A Six-Pack Of Positives
We Glass-Is-Half-Full It: How Close Was Game 1 To Being Close?

Quote:
So, you want the good news?

''I can't avoid injuries,'' said Josh Howard, who played through a nasty ankle sprain Sunday in Dallas’ Game 1 loss at Denver. ''Right now, I could get hurt walking off a plane.''

How is that good news, you ask?

The Mavs are forced by the schedule to play Game 2 on Tuesday in Denver, too, so not until early Wednesday do they need to venture anywhere near a plane.

Seriously, with just a little reflection (and maybe just a pinch of Pollyanna) we can create a Six-Pack of Positives to take from the Mavs’ 109-95 Round 1-opening flop. Let’s try!

6 How close this was to being close! We thought the Mavs didn't play well. They lacked sharpness throughout. But is anyone remembering they were only down by two early in the fourth (with 11:00 to play)? Then they hit the wall.
What happened? Maybe the fact they were idle for almost a week contributed to their sloppy play. Maybe they hit the wall because the game was the "altitude adjustment game" many teams suffer through to start a series in Denver. What I do know is this: it's knee-jerkingly early to believe we can draw any hard-and-fast conclusions yet on the rest of this series, because this Mavs team is much better than we saw today.
Are these excuses for losing? Not at all. Denver won and played well. At the same time, weren't we all expecting them to win multiple games before this ended? How many series are locked up based on who won Game 1? This one only counts as a single game, style points don't matter (so the end-game collapse doesn't make this loss count any more than a squeaker), and the contest is to merely find a way to scratch your way to four Ugly-Is-OK wins before the opponent does.
5 That is an skittish a performance as Jason Kidd as suffered through all year. There’s J-Kidd in the open court, throwing lateral passes to nobody, losing his dribble while being unguarded, lobbing a pass to a guarded teammate. …

The playoffs are Kidd’s playground and Chauncey Billups didn’t really give him problems (they weren’t even matched up that often) and he scored 15 points with four rebounds and four assists and four steals.

But those turnovers – all eight of them, more than twice what he committed in five games against San Antonio – were rally-killers, possession-killers and morale-killers.

Just as we noted on Sunday night with the 11 blocked shots (which meant a loss of 22 potential Dallas points), the eight turnovers robbed the Mavs of chances. And because so many of them happened in the open court, they led directly to Denver’s 29 fastbreak points.

Denver can’t count on Kidd to commit eight turnovers again on Tuesday.

4 Dirk has room. And toughness. And answers.

While Kidd broke into a million pieces (OK, eight pieces) Nowitzki was a rock. He scored 28 points and had 10 rebounds and while Kenyon Martin beat him up and while Birdman contested his shots, Dallas’ offensive design was very sound. The Mavs recognized one-on-one coverage on Nowitzki and cleared out for him. And when Denver switched on the pick-and-roll (or pick-and-pop), the Mavs immediately found Dirk with a matchup edge.

The Nuggets get to feel good about having two very different but very capable defenders who will be assigned to Dirk. But the Mavs get to feel good about knowing that big Nowitzki nights are there for the taking.

3 There are some make-up calls coming. Or maybe it shouldn’t be termed that way. Maybe it’s better to suggest that when a coin flips “heads’’ so many times in a row, that “tails’’ has to eventually come up, too.

But a minus-23 (in free throws) and a plus-10 (on foul calls)? We think Rick Carlisle showed a great deal of postgame wisdom by calmly stating that a film review might result in a polite protest to the NBA office. This doesn’t need to be organizational screaming and yelling; it can be like Cuban once did with Shaq’s habit of crossing the free-throw line before his shot hit the rim, or it can be like what the Mavs once did in the playoffs by pointing out Yao Ming’s illegal high screens.

Stay classy, Dallas – but stand up for yourself -- and the calls can balance out.

2 Speaking of due: The Thuggets are due for some erratic play. Aren’t they? Outside of Dirk, did ANY Mav play well?

Meanwhile, across the court. …

Forget the star Thuggets, who have proven over the course of 54 regular-season wins and five more postseason wins and 14 straight home wins overall that they are. … well, stars.

Check out the supplementary Thuggets:

*Anthony Carter? He’d averaged 0.6 points in Round 1 but scored 12 here.

*JR Smith? He not only scored 15 points, he actually passed the ball to other people, often enough to notch six assists.

*Chris “Birdman’’ Anderson was terrific with 11 points, six rebounds and six blocks.

We’re trying to stay calm all this, knowing that it can still be a long series, knowing that Carlisle and staff are busying themselves brewing up countermoves, and knowing not to overreact.

But in Denver?

Sample veteran columnist Woody Paige, who writes of Andersen:

“He's the magic; he's the bird. Showtime.’’

Yes. One Round 2 playoff victory and the Denver Nuggets have coming off their bench an un-Godly combination of Earvin Johnson and Larry Bird. Magic AND Bird.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Which takes us. …

1 Back to that need to not overreact and that need for One Ugly Win: A win Tuesday in G2, by even the narrowest of margins, gets that split in Denver that completely changes the outlook of this series. For three quarters on Sunday, the Mavs were basically close enough to make that happen. A bit more stamina to extend it to four quarters, and a bit more efficient play, and the Mavs are flying back to Dallas Tuesday night with a home-court advantage in their pocket - and this is a team that has been very effective this season after big losses. Tuesday could be fun.

And afterwards, the Mavs can board a plane.

And try to not trip.
This is still considered a successful trip if we take the game Tuesday. Some would say it might even be the best way to get the win, or it being the more critical game of the 2 to win. I'm not sure if that's true but there is logic in it with it being a getaway game heading back home and build the confidence even more and have the home crowd carry you as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #116
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
+5 (on fouls) rather than -23 (on free throws) would translate to what, 15 points less a the free-throw line for Denver, and considerably less aggression by Denver (or more by the Mavs)?
I don't think that calling 2-4 more calls on Denver and 2-4 less calls on the Mavs would've changed the aggression levels of each team. Sloppy play would've still killed us.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #117
tremaine

Quote:
Fast Forward to the 1:53 mark of the video, the "FOUL" on Hollins. Tell me thats not a horrible call.
What a joke of a call, but I'm not laughing.

From his statements we know that Rick Carlisle knows exactly what is going on here. This is good. Now if he can figure out the best way to contain the Nuggets defense the Mavs are in business. (Normally you are talking about containing an offense, but in this case the objective is to contain the Broncos' defense. I mean the Nuggets defense.)

So far Coach is saying the Mavs need to increase aggressiveness to close the gap in that area. I agree 100%.

It is a paradox and may not seem logical: why would you want to become more aggressive when the refs are calling more of your fouls than the other teams' fouls? Because think about it: you don't have much to lose! You are already in the hole already in the fouls.

If there ever was a series where you have to "increase aggressiveness" to get fully competitive and to wake up the referees, this is that one you have been waiting for. The objective is to eliminate any excuse the refs have for calling a game unevenly.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #118
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Quote:
Never mind that the last 16 times Dan Crawford has refereed one of their playoff games, the Mavericks have one win. At least he's out of the way early this series.
Stern's cronie is done with and Kidd will adjust to the eager pass interceptors.

A few Nug players really remind me of some gentlemen that spend time at the store where I buy my Old E 40s. I also keep expecting to see the AXE hair patrol girls attack Birdman.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #119
SMC0007
Guru

[QUOTE=mmmfast;995019]Stern's cronie is done with and Kidd will adjust to the eager pass interceptors.

A few Nug players really remind me of some gentlemen that spend time at the store where I buy my Old E 40s. I also keep expecting to see the AXE hair patrol girls attack Birdman.[/QUOTE]

haha, yeah he needs to just shave it... BIC it..

Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #120
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydb View Post
Great post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post

I'm sorry, but the way Denver plays defense is not basketball. It's closer to MMA. The way the officials officiate the Nuggets on the defensive end is absolutely ridiculous. It is an absolute embarrassment to the game of basketball.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fightin the good fight, got a bit fluffy in here